What's new

Lightning photgraphy - hints are welcome

lightning1

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 1, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Location
austria
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am one of the developpers of a small photo app(ilightningcam) that allows you to capture lightning strikes with an iPhone in Photo resolution(it uses realtime recognition and then takes a photo automatically).
The app works well, however, we are really interested to steadily improve the app and so


we ask here professional photographers for hints, how you capture lightnings with your DSLR.

we know lightning sensors and we know long exposure trick for night with low iso settings.

The questions are:

if you use a sensor, do use a delay?
which iso setting do you recommend?
How long is your recommended exposure time?

and

are there any other important things we have to look for?



Thanks
florian

here are our results so far, any critiscm is welcome to improve our app!

$1IMG_6803.webp$1IMG_6758.webp$1IMG_6778.webp$1IMG_6757.webp
 
Wow, nice colour, I would say that it is a bit off horizon in some and it is quite noisy

Thanks, good idea, I think of introducing a level line to the app. the noise cannot not be changed(small sensor), it is already much lower than normal because we lowered the iso to 200(normally 800 during night).
 
$a1a.webpShot on 7-7-2012 in Beach Haven N.J. with 5d mkII using 24-70 2.8L. Settings .5 sec, f5.6, iso 200. I converted it to B&W for a little more dramatic effect. Hope this helps a little...
I had to reduce the MP size of this photo in order to upload, The bolt is much sharper then it appears here...
 
Thanks! exposure data noted!
 
$new_IMG_7686.webp$new_IMG_7681.webp$new_IMG_7692.webp

it seems that lightnings are hard to predict in intensity, all of them are made with my iphone 4s and iso 200
 
View attachment 15729Shot on 7-7-2012 in Beach Haven N.J. with 5d mkII using 24-70 2.8L. Settings .5 sec, f5.6, iso 200. I converted it to B&W for a little more dramatic effect. Hope this helps a little...
I had to reduce the MP size of this photo in order to upload, The bolt is much sharper then it appears here...

cool image by the way :-)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom