What's new

Northern Spain: a 4x5" Portfolio and a story

Vieri10 9

Fine Art Landscape Photographer
Joined
Nov 24, 2017
Messages
623
Reaction score
1,346
Location
Tuscany, Italy
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In September 2025, my wife and I flew to Bilbao in the Basque Country; after spending a couple of days there, we picked up our Workshop’s group and travelled west along the Northern Coast through the Basque Country, Cantabria, Asturias and up to Galicia, spending a wonderful week working on this amazing coast.

I love photographing around the water; for a decade now, since our first trip there in 2016, the Northern Coast of Spain has offered me a never-ending source of inspiration. Since my first visit there, I found photographing with my tripod set right into the ocean to be an incredible tool to get unique vantage points and make the most of these seascapes.

As well, as many of you know, I love to use exposure control as an expressive and compositional tool. I love the simplifying power of long exposures and their ability to visually transform matter: as a result, my shutter speeds are often in the minutes.

Putting together the use of long exposures and photographing with my tripod right in the ocean required developing a dedicated, solid tripod technique to prevent micro-movement from ruining my photographs. Over decades of photography on the Northern Coast of Spain, I got to a point where I didn’t have to think about my technique anymore. This year, however, was different.
For the first time, I went to photograph these coasts with 4×5” film and I was very much looking forward to the experience and the distinct challenges I anticipated it would pose.

I just published an article on my blog featuring the new Portfolio and describing this experience. You'll find it here: NORTHERN SPAIN: A 4X5″ PORTFOLIO | Vieri Bottazzini Fine Art Photography

Some photographs out of the Portfolio for you to enjoy:

2025_09_22_Arca_FP4_0030.jpg


2025_09_22_Arca_FP4_0048.jpg


2025_09_22_Arca_FP4_0081.jpg


2025_09_22_Arca_FP4_0002.jpg


All photographs shot on Ilford FP4+ at 100 ISO with an Arca-Swiss M-Two, developed in Pyrocat-HD and digitised with a Fujifilm GFX100S II and 120mm Macro.

Best regards,

Vieri
 
Nothing better than a big piece of film!
Reminds me of Michael Kenna's Hokkaido work.
 
In September 2025, my wife and I flew to Bilbao in the Basque Country; after spending a couple of days there, we picked up our Workshop’s group and travelled west along the Northern Coast through the Basque Country, Cantabria, Asturias and up to Galicia, spending a wonderful week working on this amazing coast.

I love photographing around the water; for a decade now, since our first trip there in 2016, the Northern Coast of Spain has offered me a never-ending source of inspiration. Since my first visit there, I found photographing with my tripod set right into the ocean to be an incredible tool to get unique vantage points and make the most of these seascapes.

As well, as many of you know, I love to use exposure control as an expressive and compositional tool. I love the simplifying power of long exposures and their ability to visually transform matter: as a result, my shutter speeds are often in the minutes.

Putting together the use of long exposures and photographing with my tripod right in the ocean required developing a dedicated, solid tripod technique to prevent micro-movement from ruining my photographs. Over decades of photography on the Northern Coast of Spain, I got to a point where I didn’t have to think about my technique anymore. This year, however, was different.
For the first time, I went to photograph these coasts with 4×5” film and I was very much looking forward to the experience and the distinct challenges I anticipated it would pose.

I just published an article on my blog featuring the new Portfolio and describing this experience. You'll find it here: NORTHERN SPAIN: A 4X5″ PORTFOLIO | Vieri Bottazzini Fine Art Photography

Some photographs out of the Portfolio for you to enjoy:

2025_09_22_Arca_FP4_0030.jpg


2025_09_22_Arca_FP4_0048.jpg


2025_09_22_Arca_FP4_0081.jpg


2025_09_22_Arca_FP4_0002.jpg


All photographs shot on Ilford FP4+ at 100 ISO with an Arca-Swiss M-Two, developed in Pyrocat-HD and digitised with a Fujifilm GFX100S II and 120mm Macro.

Best regards,

Vieri
Beautiful images!
 
Gorgeous work! I'm sure your workshop participants had a blast. ❤️

Beautiful set of a beautiful area. Thanks for sharing these!
 
Nothing better than a big piece of film!
Reminds me of Michael Kenna's Hokkaido work.
Indeed, love large format! Thank you for the comparison, honoured!
Some very tasty eye candy indeed! Especially like the Guggenheim shot. Would love to visit there sometime. Well done.
Thank you very much! The Guggenheim is such an incredible building to photograph - it lives in the light and space around it like very few other buildings I have seen. Hope you'll make it there soon!
Beautiful images!
Thank you very much!
Gorgeous work! I'm sure your workshop participants had a blast. ❤️

Beautiful set of a beautiful area. Thanks for sharing these!
Thank you very much indeed, glad you enjoyed the work! The Workshop was a lot of fun, the norhtern coast of Spain is such an amazing area - and relatively unknown to photographers, which is a definite plus in my book.

Best regards,

Vieri
 
Great set. Image 1 nominated for POTM.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom