lightning

wxnut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dougraflikphotography.com
Well enough was enough. I havent had any good storms near my house at night for lightning photography so I drove 2 hours away to some storms to get some shots. I was treated to a somewhat rare event. It seems the polarity of the cloud and ground was reversed and when this happens, there is very little if any branching of the lightning. Because there is no branching, you dont get the crackle of thunder before you hear the main BOOM, so its just a BOOM. Like an explosion would sound. It was neat to hear that, and to capture these odd looking bolts, but they are not very photogenic. I like the branching.

IMG_6030s.jpg

IMG_6039s.jpg

IMG_6041s.jpg

IMG_6043s.jpg

IMG_6051s.jpg

Doug Raflik

I found out some more about the type of lightning I photographed last night. These are called positive lightning strikes. It seems the polarity in the storm and ground was reversed for whatever reason. There is far less branching in positive strokes, and in this case none. When branching occurs in lightning you hear the thunder from the branches closest to you before you hear the main boom of thunder. This is what causes that second of crackles that leads to the loudest noise of thunder. If there is no branching, you get the boom all at once, and it sounds like explosions. It was incredible hearing thunder like this.

Doug Raflik

That is very cool. i like #2 the best.
-Derek

Nice, I hope the one image I got turns out as nice as these.

Wowie are those neat!!!

(currently outside doing a rain dance in hopes of getting my own lightening)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back