Lightroom 4.4 doing something funky

skyhawk04kilo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This problem first showed up in Lightroom 4.3, but is still present in Lightroom 4.4 (just upgraded). I have a photo of my dog which was shot using a D7000 converted for shooting infrared. I played with the levels in Lightroom to get the image basically the way I wanted, and then I wanted to eliminate a distracting blob in the background, so I right-clicked and selected Edit in Photoshop CS5. Lightroom made a .psd version of the original, but the .psd looks different than the .NEF. I'm not saying that the photo looks different once I get to CS5, it looks different immediately when the file is created in Lightroom. The shadows in the .psd are significantly lighter than in the .NEF, but the highlights are the same. Any ideas?

Two scenarios I can think of:

1) You're using different versions of Adobe CameraRAW than you are Lightroom. If that's the case change your settings to render the image file in Lightroom on export or update ACR.
2) Photoshop and Lightroom are using different colour profiles for your monitor. Rule out option 1 first and we'll discuss option 2 later.

LR 4 (ACR 7) and CS 5 (ACR 6) use different Process Versions.

LR 4 uses PV 2012. CS 5 Camera Raw uses PV 2010.
Adobe changed the LR 4 Develop module Basic panel sliders (PV2012) and the rate they make adjustments, which is causing your issue.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 * Process versions

In LR 4 you can set PV2010 from the Develop module's Camera Calibration panel. But the edits you have already made using PV 2012 will change in LR 4 too.
If you edit in LR with PV 2010, you will then see no change in the image when moving it to CS 5, which is also PV 2010.

The PV 2012 .xmp file from LR 4 shows a value for the shadows that does not correspond to the the same density level in CS 5.

Last edited:
Actually, the .psd version of the photo looks different within Lightroom itself, before I export it to Photoshop. I understand that LR4 and CS5 don't play nicely due to the Camera Raw upgrade not working in CS5 but I would expect Lightroom to display the .NEF and .psd version exactly the same, at least before exporting to Photoshop.

Or does Lightroom read all .psd files using PV2010 even if I have it set to use PV2012 for raw files?

PSD is not a Raw file type.

PV2013 and PV2010 are like American English and British English.
Toilet - Loo
Trunk - boot
Gas - petrol

Close, but no cigar.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back