lightroom 5 graduated filter

Charliedelta

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello,

here's today's question...

I'm using lightroom 5 and love the graduated filter. I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to apply it to only a portion of the image. In other words, I have a picture where I have a garden with a tree and the horizon with the sky. nothing else in the picture. the tree is located roughly in the center, in the lower of the rule of thirds segments. I want to underexpose both sides around it, but only on the grass, and leave the sky untouched. I tried to use two graduated filters, titlting them so that the underxposed areas almost merged towards the horizon and split apart closer to the viewer. The problem is that I will get the underexposure also in the sky, particularly where the lines of the filter merge.

Is there any way to somehow cut the filter so that I can apply it only from the horizon down?

An example photo would help, but I think I know what you're asking.

One thing you might try, would be adding a third filter to cut across the first two, and set it to counteract the effects they have. Although, this may still not be exactly what you're looking for.
This sort of thing would be much easier to accomplish in program like Photoshop CS or Photoshop Elements, where you have the ability to use layers and layer masks.

Most reactions

Back