Linux Users

Honestly, I've played around with a number of linux distros over the years: RedHat, SuSE, and Ubuntu primarily, but as much as I like the idea of open source software (the same goes for Open/Libre Office), the compromises are just too great over closed source solutions like Windows and Mac OS, or MS Office on the productivity front.

The only thing missing is that there is no print driver for my Canon MP990
I'm pretty sure TurboPrint (link in one of my earlier posts) supports that printer.

It supports only the printer functions, not the scanner, so I would still need that old XP laptop.... but thanks for the info anyway.

OK, I just mentioned running Joli OS (I run it on a Windows netbook- I only use the Windows part for image file management on trips)
Well, Joli OS just blew up and won't boot.
This has happened before and the solution (from their support) was to DL a new version and re-install.
Well, Joli has moved away from supporting this, the last install exe won't run (I DLed 3x) and I've given this up.

Is there a simple Unix version that has a decent GUI (for us non-techies) that manages files and will see an NTFS drive?

I've just looked at MEGO and that seems like a kid's playpen, much slower than Joli OS, and there is no obvious available file management application.

Any help is greatly welcomed.

Lew

Puppy is tiny and runs well on netbooks.... It's really barebones, but also lightning fast. You can put it on a USB stick and boot off it, so you don't have to commit to an actual install right away.

I haven't.. I only ever messed around with it, I don't actually run it. Linux is linux though... even if you have to build from source I'm sure you could get whatever you need to run. It does have a package manager as well, but I don't know what's in it for image editing.

Have a look at Geeqie as well, I like it better than Irfanview.

I'm completely at sea with Linux.
I am assuming that one can add apps to any Linux installation even Puppy-like lite ones.

Thanks,

Lew

Yeah, the package manager is an automated system for installing software, it's usually pretty robust but I don't really have experience with the one in Puppy. If you want a piece of software that isn't accessible via the package manager, you can download it's source code and compile it. Even this has become a pretty automated process.... you type a few commands straight out of the readme file and you're good to go.

you say compile and my stomache gets queasy.
Once the code is compiled, does the app usually just appear?

Some of them will automatically make icons... others you just type their name at a command prompt or run dialog. You can make your own icons for these as well.

I'm completely at sea with Linux.
I am assuming that one can add apps to any Linux installation even Puppy-like lite ones.

Thanks,

Lew
Yes - most (all of the distros I've used) have a graphical 'software center' where you just do a search, find the programs you want, and install them. It automatically downloads the files, installs it, and makes the appropriate menu shortcuts. If you need 'something special' it's just a matter of adding the right repository, or installing it manually.

Compiling from source code, well it just depends on how well the source code is written. Sometimes it's a pain in the ass, sometimes it's just copy & paste. You'll rarely have to worry about that though, if ever.

I haven't used Puppy ( Puppy Linux Community - Home ), but it gets good reviews, and it is tiny. If you install it to a thumb drive (most netbooks can boot from a thumb drive - hit F1, or whatever the button you hit on boot-up is, and make sure it checks USB before the harddrive). If you boot from USB, anything you add (files, programs) that doesn't ship with the installation can be saved to that thumb drive as well - so you can take it with you and use it on any computer. I don't know what software Puppy comes with out of the box, but I'm sure there's an image viewer on it.

From their website:
"Includes a wide range of applications: wordprocessors, spreadsheets, internet browsers, games, image editors and many utilities. Extra software in the form of dotpets. There is a GUI Puppy Software Installer included."

Even something like Ubuntu can be used from a USB drive without ever actually installing it.

Accessing the NTFS partition is just a matter of mounting it, which isn't hard.
Read this:
How to Mount a Windows NTFS partition in Linux | USB Pen Drive Linux

Steps 5 & 6 there are assuming that you want to browse the files in the terminal, which probably isn't what you would want to do for your uses.

You would stop at step 4, then close the terminal. Then you would just open the file manager (think 'My Computer' on Windows) and find the directory you created in step 3. It may also just show up on the desktop as if it were a removable drive. Before you shut down, you'll need to unmount it.
Think of the NTFS partition as a removable drive, and think of mounting/unmounting as inserting/removing it.

If you shut down without unmounting the drive, it won't "be there" when you try to boot into windows, because it is still mounted in Linux.

thanks for the very sensible advice and help.
I'm convinced, and hopeful, that this will beome more intuitive once I do it.
I intend to order 3 or 4 live disks from OSdisc and try them out before settling.

thanks again.

Lew

I'm trying a few distros on my netbook right now too...

Installing Zenwalk 7 on it now... It doesn't look like there's a Live CD for it (lol - there is, just downloaded the wrong ISO...), so I just have to install it... I didn't like it on a desktop (that was a few versions ago though), but I'm going to give it a chance on a netbook...

I hate dual boot, and didn't have anything on the netbook that isn't already on the desktop - so I'm just doing a fresh install and overwriting the Mint 12 partition that's on it now. Also tried Sabayon 7, but didn't like it much. I tried the 'Awesome' variant... I'll try the Xfce one later.

Last edited:
I tried a bunch of the distros - the various Puppy ones were good - and thin- but had some problems with access to wireless and didn't want to repeat that while traveling.
Tried installing Mint 12 and had a strange issue with the install.
Could not reach the 'coninue' button on the pick-a-picture page, couldn't scroll down on the page, couldn't get a better display res and eventually had too abort the install because I couldn't continue.
Eventually installed Ubuntoo. It is a little slower than I'd like but everything worked well so far.
The Image DL app is unbelievably slow and so I will just just copy from the card reader and paste into netbook folder and PDH folder.
Any suggestions for a faster image downloader app or point me to a script that will do the copy and paste relatively unattended?

TIA,

Lew

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back