Linux Users

I tried a bunch of the distros - the various Puppy ones were good - and thin- but had some problems with access to wireless and didn't want to repeat that while traveling.
Tried installing Mint 12 and had a strange issue with the install.
Could not reach the 'coninue' button on the pick-a-picture page, couldn't scroll down on the page, couldn't get a better display res and eventually had too abort the install because I couldn't continue.
Eventually installed Ubuntoo. It is a little slower than I'd like but everything worked well so far.
The Image DL app is unbelievably slow and so I will just just copy from the card reader and paste into netbook folder and PDH folder.
Any suggestions for a faster image downloader app or point me to a script that will do the copy and paste relatively unattended?

TIA,

Lew

I dump my files from the card at the command line.. my process for doing it looks something like this:

(Change directory to where I keep raws)
$ cd /some/path/where/my/photos/are

(Copy files from the card to the current directory. The -n means "no-clobber", and instructs the copy command to only copy files that don't already exist. This way, I don't have to be super diligent about erasing my card each time I grab files off it. The path to your card may not be exactly the same, but once you learn it it's in the same place every time.)
$ cp /media/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100CANON/* . -n

I've recently put the second command into a shell script, so all I need to do now is change to the directory I want, and then type "getphotos". getphotos is an executable text file in ~/bin that contains the copy command above.

I am still using Ubuntu 10.04 and I will be keeping it on this machine (old Pentium 4) even after the support runs out, as I have it running just the way I like and I don't want to go through another install process. I am undecided about my next desktop; I really like the iMac design, but I'd prefer to stick with Linux if I can.

Could not reach the 'coninue' button on the pick-a-picture page, couldn't scroll down on the page, couldn't get a better display res and eventually had too abort the install because I couldn't continue.
Looks like your other question has been answered, so I'll answer this one (even though it wasn't really a question, lol).

It sounds like the minimum window size is too large for a netbook - I ran into that problem a lot... If you run into that again (you probably will), hold down ALT and click anywhere on the window to drag it around. Helps a lot when the top or bottom of the window is cut off and you can't make it smaller.

That should work on any distro.

Most reactions

Back