little lord fauntleroy

nycphotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Early on, I was shooting a lot of high key, tons of flash, bright frames... but later on I started finding I really liked big dark prints w/ a lot of negative space.

I really like this one printed 20x16. As you first walk by, it's almost completely black which makes people stop and look closer?

It's pretty much soc jpg, except for a small reflection I cloned out of the glass just behind him.

Shot with an off camera speedlight (sb-28dx) focused directly at him at a very small aperture to black out any extraneous subjects (like all the furniture in the small room), triggered w/ a cheapo radio strobe and the 7-14mm Panasonic lens @ 7mm.

C&C appreciated (best viewed full screen)

A839A6A17A5046239C5BE814A65A200E.jpg

not sure what to say... I get what you were going for with the negative space in the black, its a really fun idea. But having the cat so dark kinda kills the image for me. I'd prefer seeing him better light and maybe even composed more in the lower right corner than half way in the frame. As is, just looks like a missed image

If it's good at 20x16, I wonder how it'd look at 40x32...

...maybe twice as good???

At first glance I thought the file was corrupted and I couldn't see the picture.

Negative space doesn't just mean space with nothing in it. Negative space should be used to balance a photo the same way as any other secondary subject in a photo. This photo obeys none of the rules of composition, balance or exposure.

I think you'll find that people get closer to this photo to see if there's actually anything in it, not to appreciate it more.

Sorry. I'm rarely this harsh, but having a completely black frame with a smudge of something squeezed into less than 5% of the frame and labelling it interesting does not make it so.

When I bring up the levels, I lose the softness and some of the mystery. I could also photoshop out some more of the reflections.

As to printing it twice as big to love it twice as much, I get the sarcasm. No worries. But I don't have the resolution in the file to print it bigger. And printing it smaller had a lot less impact, being less imposing.

On the composition I know it breaks all the rules of composition, but it's not accidental, it's intentional.

No worries... probably not the best pick as the first thing I offer up for c&c. Without context I guess it does seem pretty accidental.

BTW, we need a thanks button. That way I can sincerely thank you for your input without having to "like" it. ha.

Genuine Fractals could probably up-rezz it. Imagine the black ink needed to print that shot on inkjet at huge size!!! I love cats. I really do. Fascinating creatures.

I get my big prints done at Adorama (and my 4x6's done at CameraLand). One of the very few benefits of being in NYC.

So what do I care how much ink they use. lol

You're really saying go for it bigger? I dunno. I get the impact it would have. Not sure I have room for it.

Last edited:
If the blend from black to color was a little more gradual, it could work. but I think it would take at least 1/3 blend though the blend could still be on the dark side...and maybe something like (so stereotypical - but I think you can get past this) a ball of yarn just barely discernable where the blend starts...Annie Leibovitz has been getting away with it for years.

If the blend from black to color was a little more gradual, it could work. but I think it would take at least 1/3 blend though the blend could still be on the dark side...and maybe something like (so stereotypical - but I think you can get past this) a ball of yarn just barely discernable where the blend starts...Annie Leibovitz has been getting away with it for years.

You mean if it was less like a spotlight on a stage?

Exactly..more like a spot wit barn doors with one door opened slightly.

I completely understand what you were aiming at, but went off without attaining it; let us keep aside all rules aside and look innocent at the image; just brighten up your cat to immediately drag anybody's attention to that corner...then you would have over-burdened with laurels i am sure ;)

At first glance I thought the file was corrupted and I couldn't see the picture.

Negative space doesn't just mean space with nothing in it. Negative space should be used to balance a photo the same way as any other secondary subject in a photo. This photo obeys none of the rules of composition, balance or exposure.

I think you'll find that people get closer to this photo to see if there's actually anything in it, not to appreciate it more.

Sorry. I'm rarely this harsh, but having a completely black frame with a smudge of something squeezed into less than 5% of the frame and labelling it interesting does not make it so.

O, Sparky, i have never heard such harsh words from any body so far..... how cruel you are :lol:
Regards :D

Yeah, I think it would look cool BIG. Yes, it would be kinda sweet to have a great printing-out location within one's city or town...no such luck here in podunkville...

When I thought of printing it in the first place, the idea of a big imposing black print that takes up a lot of space was the main idea.

Most reactions

Back