Location Planning?

James Hunt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As a weekend amateur landscape photographer I find it hard to actually plan ahead.

I am searching for a programme / app to make a list of all the places I wish to visit and photograph.

I would also like to have the facility to enter searchable notes & keywords.
e.g. The following day weather forecast is for mist. I enter 'mist' into the search & locations with that term are shown.

Does anyone know of an app at all that can do this?
or use varying apps to the same end?

Many thanks to everyone.

Regards
James

Are you wanting a program that tells you a location of mist/fog? I would just use the weather app.

I use The Photographers Ephemeris. TPE. It lets you know the sunrise time, sunset, moonrise, moonset, and which way the sun is shining during any part of the day in any location around the world or your current location by your phone GPS. Or where the moon is at any time of day or night. It's helpful to line up the shot you want. You can also store the coordinates of the shot for later reference to return too.

Actual planning ahead for me is difficult. What I do as I drive around ordinarily, is if I see I spot that might be a good spot to photograph during better lighting conditions. I'll mark that spot in TPE. Then go back later. You can use Google maps for that too. You can also go back to the same "special" spot you've already photographed at different times of the day or season. It's amazing how different they can be.

LOL @ the disagree...How about an actual comment to let us know more what you are looking for.

Are you wanting a program that tells you a location of mist/fog? I would just use the weather app.

Hi Paigew, Thanks for responding. Not what I was after. Sorry.

I want to have an app that I can store 'chosen' locations. Each location will have relevant info (that I have entered) attached, eg address, How far away from home, journey time required to get there. and keywords that are relevant to Weather, Light, Season etc. Eg Mist, B&W (Would be suitable for), Flowers Blooming, Autumn Winter, Snow etc etc. It would allow me to select locations quickly that I want to visit and capture under certain conditions.

I want to have an app that I can store 'chosen' locations. Each location will have relevant info (that I have entered) attached, eg address, How far away from home, journey time required to get there. and keywords that are relevant to Weather, Light, Season etc. Eg Mist, B&W (Would be suitable for), Flowers Blooming, Autumn Winter, Snow etc etc. It would allow me to select locations quickly that I want to visit and capture under certain conditions.
okay this makes more sense. I do not know if there is an app that does that BUT>......I would set up a spreadsheet with all those details in addition to a google map, flagging locations. You can do a key word search in your google docs then look your results up on your flagged google maps to view exact locations.

I use The Photographers Ephemeris. TPE. It lets you know the sunrise time, sunset, moonrise, moonset, and which way the sun is shining during any part of the day in any location around the world or your current location by your phone GPS. Or where the moon is at any time of day or night. It's helpful to line up the shot you want. You can also store the coordinates of the shot for later reference to return too.

Actual planning ahead for me is difficult. What I do as I drive around ordinarily, is if I see I spot that might be a good spot to photograph during better lighting conditions. I'll mark that spot in TPE. Then go back later. You can use Google maps for that too. You can also go back to the same "special" spot you've already photographed at different times of the day or season. It's amazing how different they can be.

Hi AlanKeith, Thanks for responding. Not what I was after. Sorry.

okay this makes more sense. I do not know if there is an app that does that BUT>......I would set up a spreadsheet with all those details in addition to a google map, flagging locations. You can do a key word search in your google docs then look your results up on your flagged google maps to view exact locations.

Ive done a lot of searching the only app I can find is an Android app called 'ScoutLog' but I'm using an iPhone. The irony is it looks to do exactly what I want!
ScoutLog for Android

That's a toughy.
Doing spatial data collection requires collection of the relevant data then overlaid on a map.
I cant give you a specific app, but the insight side of things (actually making the map) is not too hard these days.
AND can input the data your after, at least mostly.

Most reactions

Back