Locations: Poiana Brasov, Predeal

antiquegc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are just a number of the plenty of photos I took in Poiana Brasov and Predeal. I call them pictures, not photographs because I am not even an amateur photographer. I am going to learn though, however first I have to find what can my relation to the camera and so to photography can be. I did not use photoshop, so they are not edited. So, please either make an objective observation or state your opinion.

I resized them from 3072x1728 to 640x480. I used ISO 100 and 200.

this photo was taken from the inside of a taxi cab (1st down, window was rolled down).

Last edited:
I'll bite I guess...

Good ideas for starters. I like that you didn't process these as they look fairly good for SOOC. A couple show common 'mistakes' ( which I'll show you how to fix ).

#2 Not sure how it happened ( unless you did it on purpose ) but the white balance is a bit too hot and looks very different from the other images. The colours have too much "green channel" in them. This can be fixed by adjusting the white balance with your RAW converter software, or on the camera itself before you start shooting.

#3,#5, #6 Here's the common mistakes. Your foreground exposure is pretty decent, but your skies are way too hot ( light ). Don't use your aperature to gather light, let your shutter speed do that. Use your aperature to select your DOF.

The fix is two options. First being reshoot the scene and go at least one stop faster on your shutter. Second option is you can take two images and blend them. Take one shot to expose the ground and one to expose the sky; combine them in PS and paint in the darker sky.

Seeing how you didn't process these, this might not be something you're ready for yet. Try the first suggestion and go from there.

#3 Going to be honest with you here ; the angle shot does not work at all. Landscapes never look good shot on angles, try to avoid it unless it's something you like to do.

General points:

Minus the first and last image, these lack a strong subject. Try to make something in your landscapes stand out and grab the viewers attention.

Pay a little bit more attention to your horizons when you're shooting. Most of these are crooked.

When composing your shots, take some extra time and really study what you're looking @ through the viewfinder. Make sure extraneous items are either not in frame upon capture or learn to use some software so you can get comfortable with the Clone Stamp tool.
#1, #4 and #5 all have items in there that grab your eyes away from the central scene. I won't tell you what those things are -- that's your test for the day :)

Hope these comments help you -- keep shooting

Thank you for the informative comment. I am glad that someone managed to answer my topic. I have to say though that I will focus more, or only, on film photographs then digital images, so I won't be using photoshop. I will have to study firstly my relation to photographs in themselves, what they mean from a philosophical and psychological standpoint, then I will be prepared to study the camera (plenty of them) and the "painting" itself.

Thank you again.

edit: #1st - the garbage bin. #4th - the chopped tree #5th - the garbage in front of the picture (for me most of the items in front - the white part (missing grass), chopped tree and garbage).

What I did not know from your comment was: "Don't use your aperature to gather light, let your shutter speed do that." and "Landscapes never look good shot on angles, try to avoid it." Most of the other things I knew, even after taking the pictures I was disappointed (not that I would have done much better). At the moment I set my settings based on what I enjoy (to some point, because the only picture I like here (based on no objective information) is photo number 1 (by the way, I am an agnostic atheist), I find it too dark though and the garbage bin is the main character...

What I did was see and shoot. However now I am back home so I will start getting prepared.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back