Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
-Tech Specs
Canon 7dmkI with Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5
1/4 sec f16, ISO 100 cropped to a 4x3 from a single frame

-Lighting
Overcast and fairly heavy rain

-Why did I take the shot?
This was taken on a workshop with Colin Prior a few years back. I loved the combination of this little waterfall, the overhanging tree and the rocks. This is a very remote part of Scotland, only accessible by boat or a multi day walk in. The lichen and the highlights gave me a few issues at the time, being so bright the shot had to be underexposed quite a bit to just about retain the highlight data. I watched a Joe Cornish and Nigel Danson youtube video about editing today, so thought I'd try a new edit on this as I really liked the location, but couldn't quite get the 5 star shot at the time. This version I've split toned it a little, colour graded it and and used a few techniques with my current processing style to try and bring the shot up a bit more. I'd really appreciate feedback on what you think about the processing in particular.

Loch Hourn Waterfall by wee_pete, on Flickr

I like it quite a lot. I think it is nicely balanced. I like that you can see the various shades of reds and greens in the vegetation and on the rocks. You can also see the colors in the rocks at the bottom of the pool of water in the forefront. I can see where the highlights on the lichens could have been a challenge.

This appears to be a gorgeous spot and I am partial to the kind of mood a place like this gives off. I think you captured and rendered it nicely.

There's certainly a lot too take in on this one Pete. So typical of many of our countryside/Highland characteristics. I think you have captured this very well. I bet that would look even more dramatic after some heavy rain, filling the burn to bursting.

I like it quite a lot. I think it is nicely balanced. I like that you can see the various shades of reds and greens in the vegetation and on the rocks. You can also see the colors in the rocks at the bottom of the pool of water in the forefront. I can see where the highlights on the lichens could have been a challenge.

This appears to be a gorgeous spot and I am partial to the kind of mood a place like this gives off. I think you captured and rendered it nicely.

Thanks PJM, it certainly is a superb place. Its a shame the weather wasn't better on that day, there's some grand vistas in that neck of the woods. Glad you like the processing, I always find adjusting the colours a bit difficult as it's a bit of a delecate balance. I appreciate the feedback.

There's certainly a lot too take in on this one Pete. So typical of many of our countryside/Highland characteristics. I think you have captured this very well. I bet that would look even more dramatic after some heavy rain, filling the burn to bursting.

Thanks mate, I agree a bit more water would have helped, really we were hoping for the skies to clear on that trip. We did get about half of it with nice weather, though it was a bit interspersed. I quite liked the pools of water and the overhanging Caledonian pine, as you say very typical of our highland countryside, though the vegitation can make things a bit too busy. Thanks for the feedback!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back