Lochh Dunmore 01

I balanced the colors in channels...in addition to using HSB adjustments in the channels, I also used brightness and contrast. For the water, I simply used a PS tool called "Select by Color Range" and used the eye dropper to select only the water using the fuzzy slider and the range slider. I did this as well with the tree colors...it's a great tool to learn to use as is using adjustment layers in your channels dialogue.

Here are some ideas on ways to use selections by color range and channels in HSB and Brightness and contrast.

Select by color Range (highly accurate even though the marching ants are sometimes a bit less looking so.

wp1.jpg

After making the initial selection, I used the magic wand tool and deleted the ants out of the trees and did a levels adjustment to darken the water

wp2.jpg

Next I did a green channel selection and an HSB adjustment layer to desaturate some of the greens and yellows though as you will see in the next image, I removed some of the edit with a black brush at about 40% to give some needed highlights back to the BG tree

wp3.jpg

wp4.jpg

While I did do some cloning and other adjustments, this last image shows that I used the red channel in conjunction with a Brightness and Contrast Adjustment layer to amplify the red/browns in the tree trunks to the right...later I did the same in the blue channel, eliminating everything but that tree with the magic wand tool to add some brown-ness to the trunks/limbs

wp5 red.jpg

This is just a place to start, get used to fiddling about with the tools, learning to work in channels and keep in mind, all the adjustment layer tools can be used in the channels menu...I will often do an HSB on a blue channel, then do a Brightness contrast on the same mask (hold the alt key and put your cursor on the HSB layer mask and move it up until it copies into the B/C layer mask...) fun trick and saves oodles of time.

Last edited:
@bulldurham top man! thank you very much for the explaination. My photoshop knowledge lets me down at times, I'm much more comfortable in lightroom for photohraphy editing though I do know some graphic artistry stuff, and I have used it for years but mainly for cloning as opposed to editing so in a very limited fashion.

I bought an exposure blending course from Jimmy MacIntyre during lockdown (which has been where most of my focus has been with PS) but struggling to find the time to get through it.

I will make the time to go through your post myself in photoshop though, thank you very much for the detailed explaination and taking the time to do that. It's very much appreciated!

You might to have a look at Tony Kuyper Actions as well as he delves deeply into luminosity masking and that's where the fun starts. Lightroom is pretty much nothing more than Adobe Camera Raw with a few more presets, none of which I use. I will admit that about 65% of my editing is done in ACR (LR for you) but when I bring the image into PS, I can do things there Light Room cannot - which is pretty much everything I did on this image. Enjoy and feel free to ask questions. I have not much else to do and besides, I miss teaching - not the administration, but the students...sighhh

You might to have a look at Tony Kuyper Actions as well as he delves deeply into luminosity masking and that's where the fun starts. Lightroom is pretty much nothing more than Adobe Camera Raw with a few more presets, none of which I use. I will admit that about 65% of my editing is done in ACR (LR for you) but when I bring the image into PS, I can do things there Light Room cannot - which is pretty much everything I did on this image. Enjoy and feel free to ask questions. I have not much else to do and besides, I miss teaching - not the administration, but the students...sighhh
My old computer and Ps CS4 won't handle Tony's panels, but I spent hours and hours reading his material so that I could create the luminosity based channels and then created actions triggered by keyboard shortcuts. I recommend very much learning the material.

The masks are easy to make though a bit time consuming. Ps4...now that's a few iterations ago (1996, I think). You can take the masks you've built and make them into actions (though honestly, I cannot remember if PS4 had an actions panel). But, if the keyboard shortcuts work...perhaps even better.

The masks are easy to make though a bit time consuming. Ps4...now that's a few iterations ago (1996, I think). You can take the masks you've built and make them into actions (though honestly, I cannot remember if PS4 had an actions panel). But, if the keyboard shortcuts work...perhaps even better.
I began with Ps6 in 2000, on a Mac running OS 9.1. Then CS2 somewhere around '05 or '06, and then CS4 around '09.
I just missed the deadline for stand alone CS6 when those money grubbing sons of whores at Adobe went to the subscription service. I'll probably switch to Affinity when whatever computer I have no longer can run my CS4. :)

$10 a month isn't that bad and you get constant updates...lots of new tricks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back