London Storm

Forkie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.ianforknall.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I decided that I don't share enough images on this forum, so here's one I took two weeks ago. We've had none stop rain here in Blighty for the last 3 weeks, yet there's still a hose pipe ban.

This view is to the North East from the office I work in on Tottenham Court Road in London on a particularly gloomy afternoon. These clouds produced just a couple of bolts of lightning (which I missed with the camera...). The most recognisable buildings in the shot are the Gherkin (or 30 St. Mary Axe is it's proper name) and the dome of St. Paul's Cathedral which is now dwarfed by the surrounding modern London.

A bit of artistic license was involved in the processing too. :)

Scary Skies by Forkie, on Flickr

Last edited:
Forkie, no image was posted from your Flickr account. Says it's unavailable.

One heck of a storm. Totally knocked his flicker offline.
:lmao:

And now that it's back, I like the image. Nice an moody, broken up by the skyline. Well done.

Last edited:
as mentioned.. no shot here!

But I did check your Flickr.. interesting! I would go contrasty B&W with that puppy... try and bring out the white clouds as much as possible for contrast.

nice shot, reminds me of the days I was working down in moorgate.

2 hours and 3 trains just to get to work each morning, then the same on the way home, can't say I miss the travelling much but I do miss the city.

Nice shot, I like it, particularly the silhouette affect. Is it possible to bring out any more detail in the clouds? Just curious, as I think that would enhance the image, if it were possible.

I counted 12+ "cranes" working on buildings or whatever - is this all stuff for the Olympics?

Nice shot, I like it, particularly the silhouette affect. Is it possible to bring out any more detail in the clouds? Just curious, as I think that would enhance the image, if it were possible.

I counted 12+ "cranes" working on buildings or whatever - is this all stuff for the Olympics?

If you mean the black clouds, I purposefully darkened them to frame the horizon line between the clouds and the silhouetted foreground. I though that the silvery clouds in the distance had much more interest than the closer ones.

The cranes are a permanent, ever changing fixture in the London skyline. I guess most US Cities' buildings are too tall to see so many but here in London, the cranes are taller than most of the buildings, so they pop up and out over the horizon like shooting flowers. Look at me, getting all poetic about it!

The cranes around the Olympics are not visible from here. They are much further east.

Here's another shot of the same buildings, but during sunrise. You can see even more cranes in this one.

London Sunrise by Forkie, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back