Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Rolleiflex 3.5F (Whiteface)
T-MAX 400 (Expired)
VC Meter II

Loneliness.jpg

Cheers And Thanks For Looking,

Enezdez

I'm not seeing the loneliness, more in deep thought or meditation. Nice use of up angle.

Lighting is the issue IMO. The bright sunlight through window and lack of any diffusion is creating hard light resulting in overly harsh specularity. When shooting elderly/wrinkles it's best to avoid raking light across the wrinkles. Shooting at a different time of day, using a sheer cloth over the window as diffusion and proper positioning would have made this a better shot.

Last edited:
I'm gonna disagree with Smoke here. Not on the technical issues he details. He's way too experience for me to challenge that.

No, the picture to me oozes loneliness. The facial expression, the forlorn gaze out of the window, the resigned look of sadness and melancholy makes it all a very, very emotional photograph.

@Space Face from experience I've gotten to the age where I get that face frequently. It's usually the result of trying to remember something IE- what I had for breakfast/lunch/dinner, thinking about the future IE - What DW is fixing for the next meal, or which direction is the closest bathroom? 🤣

@Space Face from experience I've gotten to the age where I get that face frequently. It's usually the result of trying to remember something IE- what I had for breakfast/lunch/dinner, thinking about the future IE - What DW is fixing for the next meal, or which direction is the closest bathroom? 🤣
Hey, settle down, that sounds like my face😁😁

@enezdez - You're putting that Rollei Whiteface to good use, I see! :) Nice work!

@smoke665 , I agree that the emotions can be left to each viewer's reaction. I tend to see what you're seeing here: more contemplative than a sense of loneliness.

When shooting elderly/wrinkles it's best to avoid raking light across the wrinkles.
I think technically you'd be correct here, as well - IF you were taking a more traditional portrait, and especially one of an elderly woman. I like the lighting here and the exacerbated wrinkles; my guess is that it was a deliberate technical choice on the part of the OP. He was also trying to elicit a particular emotional response (that neither of us felt) and perhaps thought punching up the age of the subject in this way would help.

Just guessing, of course. ;) Regardless of how I view the subject, I think this in-your-face lighting works great here.

Just guessing, of course. ;) Regardless of how I view the subject, I think this in-your-face lighting works great here.

I don't have any issues with the face. IMO the lighting on the face is softer, less direct, and works better. In any composition you determine your focal point (the area that demands attention) either by placement, contrast, isolation, convergence, or unusual. To me the face should be the focal point, but the the way the light is striking the arm is creating a stronger focal point by incorporating pretty much all of the points

As to emotions of the subject, it is the job of the photographer or artist to convey the intent not merely attach a label based on an assumption. In Kinesics (non verbal communication) crossed arms means defensiveness usually manifesting itself as discomfort, uneasiness, etc. The head turned away is another sign of disinterest, bored, uncomfortable, unwilling to engage with the viewer. The head tilt upward to the side is a conflicting signal on the one hand the upward tilt is a sign of confidence and pride, but the exposure of the throat is a sign of submission. As to what he's actually "thinking" is anyone's guess as subconscious and conscious thoughts aren't always the same.

Last edited:
Looks great to me...strong shot of a very strong looking elder.

I don't have any issues with the face. IMO the lighting on the face is softer, less direct, and works better. In any composition you determine your focal point (the area that demands attention) either by placement, contrast, isolation, convergence, or unusual. To me the face should be the focal point, but the the way the light is striking the arm is creating a stronger focal point by incorporating pretty much all of the points
Agreed - sorry, you took me too literally when I said "in your face" lighting - again, we agree that the main punch from the lighting (which is all I was referencing) was not on the face, but the arm position and posture. I like it very much, though it doesn't scream loneliness to me. The crossed arms can be from what you suggest, but also the chair has no arms and he could simply be trying to fold them up to relax back, since there's little else to do with them, other than place hands on the knees (which would deliver a completely different feeling).

@Jeff15 @smoke665 @jeffashman @Space Face @terri @Warhorse Thank you all for the inputs. @terri you hit the nail on the head with you keen observation that the chair had no armrest – that’s because it’s not a chair but a small stool. And yes, he has his arms folded to relax as you pointed out.

Personally, I like the harsh light, it is my opinion that it works well with my subject in this composition. The light intensifies the wrinkles on the left arm making him look dog-eared…a weather worn man along with his character as seen on his face…

This is not a glamor portrait; I know as far as the technical orthodoxy @smoke665 is correct but there is more than one way to skin a cat (metaphorically – please do not harm any animals/pets).

Maybe my subject is lonely, contemplating or simply displaying voyeurism since he can be seen looking out the window shown in the image but that is left to each viewer’s interpretation.

I was attempting to achieve a Edward Hopper feel/vibe but in B&W, maybe that was to lofty of a goal and I failed miserably.

I am just glad that the image stirred enough emotion in each of you to make comments…

Cheers,

Enezdez

Thanks for expanding on your thought process for this image! It definitely was thought provoking.

Ooo, trying to get a Hopper kind of vibe is definitely a worthy goal. Whatever keeps you working with that Rollei Whiteface is fine with me, too! ;)

Most reactions

Back