What's new

Long exposure, Koh Lanta.

It's a beautiful sunset, but there's something that feels weird about the horizon. I can't put my finger on it, but it looks odd to me.

Either way, a very nice photo and I think the level of saturation is spot on. Well done
 
Some breaks or more layers on both the water and sky would increase depth perspective.
 
Nice shot, makes me think the earth is flat? I agree the something just feels weird with that horizon.
 
The horizon is too sharp for that distance... you could soften it.
 
I actually like the flatness others are mentioning. I can't quite put my finger on exactly why I like this image though. Perhaps it's that it has a graphic quality to it?
 
it almost looks like two separate pictures, I think a grad nd would've made this much better too, having the rock properly exposed would've been great
 
I actually like the flatness others are mentioning. I can't quite put my finger on exactly why I like this image though. Perhaps it's that it has a graphic quality to it?
Meaning it looks artificial? I'll agree if that's your point.
 
I actually like the flatness others are mentioning. I can't quite put my finger on exactly why I like this image though. Perhaps it's that it has a graphic quality to it?
Meaning it looks artificial? I'll agree if that's your point.

That could be exactly why I like it.
 
It's a beautiful sunset, but there's something that feels weird about the horizon. I can't put my finger on it, but it looks odd to me.

Either way, a very nice photo and I think the level of saturation is spot on. Well done

I agree a gorgeous sunset. I also like the level of saturation used here. I think the odd thing you are seeing about the horizon and i am seeing it too is the water looks brighter than it would be naturally. I'm assuming this was adjusted in a mask in post prod.

That said, it doesn't bother me. It has a nice graphic look to it
 
I'm not sure the composition works for me here. My first reaction is that there is way too much sky – perhaps a square crop would take care of this perceived issue, losing also a bit of the water in the process for a balanced frame.

The other thing that bothers me a bit is the blown-out and shapeless sun – a shorter exposure might've prevented this from happening. Per the EXIF data on your Flickr, this is a 39-second exposure at 70 mm – even at that focal length, with such a long exposure you're bound to capture some unwanted movement of the sun, resulting in a sun that's not round (and in this case also blown out).

I agree with Doug in that I would've liked to see some detail on the rock, or otherwise just the outline of it – it seems underexposed as is.

Just my two cents.
 
It is a beautiful photo. I do agree with much of what has been said. I think there is too much sky, a square crop to eliminate some of the dark clouds at the top would improve it greatly. The water almost look artificial, the color doesn't seem natural and there is virtually no variation in color and texture. But that kinda works for me, assuming it was achieved without an excessive amount of PP. A GND filter would have been good as well. And I think if you were ever to redo the shot (assuming you haven't) I would try a horizontal orientation.
 
All I did in terms of PP was increase the exposure a touch. Increased the reds, oranges and yellows a little. Then I locally increased the waters exposure a snippet more using LR4. Then I darkened the sky a little using a gradient filter.
As I haven't done many long exposures, I was thinking it could be down to that (with the horizon)? I basically have no idea.
I kind of like it but I don't at the at the same time.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom