Long Exposure meter reading

kalyankkumar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi ,

I want to shoot some long exposure photos at night ....................................is i have aperture at 11 , shutter speed at 3 sec and ISO = 100..........should i need to look at the meter if its in center...or it doesn't matter in long exposure photos.................

There is no difference in the metering at any shutter speed. When you tell the camera to open the shutter for 3 seconds it meters for 3 seconds.

It doesn't meter for 3 seconds, as suggested.

Notice that as you change exposure settings, the meter changes immediately.

Which metering mode are you planning to use? Spot, Partial, Center-Weighted, or Matrix/Evaluative?

If what you want to shoot is more than 100 feet away or so, you don't need to use f/11 to get deep depth-of-field (DoF), because focus point distance has a big affect on DoF.

You might want to get that sticky . key fixed.

Also be aware that your camera is going to try and make the shot come out just like it was day. If you want to have it look like night time you are going to have to compensate by either decreasing your exposure manually or using negative exposure comp on camera.

I have found that I cannot trust the in camera meter to provide adequate results when doing long expsoure shots. Instead, I use the aperture of my choice, a very high ISO, and a faster shutterspeed. That way, I don't have to wait 10 seconds, a minute, or longer to review the results. I basically fine tune my exposure, then convert those settings to an equivalent at base ISO giving me my actual shutter speed.

Just seems faster and more accurate for me.

It sounds like the OP WANTS a longer exposure. To the OP if the (as you say) "meter is in the center" then the camera reads it as a normal exposure.

Most reactions

Back