long exposure, metering and manual camera

den9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i do alot of night shots in the city, my old cameras always metered down to 30 seconds, my current camera is only good for 1 second and bulb, is there any trick or general rule of thumb? i assume ill have to hold down the shutter and use a stop watch or count in my head and buy a hand held meter.

buy a cable release and a stop watch and experiment

Like Ann said, remote, stopwatch and bulb setting.

edit: I got curious on this (as usual) - both, the D50 and the 1N have shutter speeds of 30" according to their prospective manuals.

Last edited:
According the owner's manual for the D50 the shutter speed is adjustable from 1/4000 second to 30 seconds.

duplicate post - sorry

Is it the D50 you are asking about? You've posted this in the film section.

What light level do you need to meter down to - ie what typical set of ISO, aperture and shutter speed are you talking about? That will tell us how sensitive a light meter you would need. What camera were you using before and what speed film were you using?

is there any trick or general rule of thumb?

Rules of thumb at the Ultimate Exposure Computer. Don't forget about reciprocity failure. Like Ann said, it's more a matter of experimentation and experience than anything. Bracket liberally and take notes. I did an experiment in my neighborhood last year. I would load TriX 120 in an old box camera and pick four subjects. All were shot at the same aperture and bracketed 1sec, 10 sec, 30 sec. Then I would run home and develop the roll, giving it some push with Rodinal 1:100 semi-stand. After a roll or two I get pretty good at estimating light values for that particular set-up.

Is it the D50 you are asking about? You've posted this in the film section.

What light level do you need to meter down to - ie what typical set of ISO, aperture and shutter speed are you talking about? That will tell us how sensitive a light meter you would need. What camera were you using before and what speed film were you using?

well whenever i did night photography it was always around 3-30 seconds

i usually did f/8 with 50-160 iso film

using nikon fm10

30" at f/8 with ISO 160 isn't all that dark - it's EV 1 at ISO 160 (f/8 is Av = 6, 30" is Tv = -5), so it's EV 0.3 at ISO 100. Most light meters, but not spot meters, should be capable of reading midtones at that lighting level. It is, however, just below the metering range for the FM10 - but only just below, if you have a fast lens fitted. That means that most of the time you could use the FM10s meter (especially if you meter off something light like a white card) then adjust the aperture and recalculate the shutter speed. Get a locking cable release, as already suggested.

well today i learned about EV tables. how do you calculate all this if you are shooting at different iso's?

i have the tripod and shutter cable ready. ill be shooting lit night scene, neons and such

well today i learned about EV tables. how do you calculate all this if you are shooting at different iso's?

i have the tripod and shutter cable ready. ill be shooting lit night scene, neons and such

EV takes into account ISO, LV does not. LV = EV at ISO 100.

is there any trick or general rule of thumb?

Rules of thumb at the Ultimate Exposure Computer. Don't forget about reciprocity failure. Like Ann said, it's more a matter of experimentation and experience than anything. Bracket liberally and take notes. I did an experiment in my neighborhood last year. I would load TriX 120 in an old box camera and pick four subjects. All were shot at the same aperture and bracketed 1sec, 10 sec, 30 sec. Then I would run home and develop the roll, giving it some push with Rodinal 1:100 semi-stand. After a roll or two I get pretty good at estimating light values for that particular set-up.

Follow the link if you haven't.

Also a metronome app on your phone will help you when using Bulb. https://www.google.com/search?ix=seb&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=metronome+app

Set to 60 bps and count. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back