Long exposure of Rat Rock

Hooligan Dan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been working in the Bay Area a lot lately and have been taking advantage of the scenery there. Today after my assignments I decided to have my lunch at China Camp State Park. I great place. This is rat rock, pretty much the most popular thing to see there. Is pretty cool. A lot smaller in person than I thought it would be.

anyway...

Nikon D800
Nikkor 17-35mm @ 35mm
6-stop and 10-stop ND filters stacked
ISO 50
Exp: 5+ minutes(I lost track when the stopwatch on my ipad mysteriously stopped).
f/5.6

I'm uploading this with my ipad and had to have imageshack resize the photo for me, so I'm not entirely sure what the quality of the upload is.

imageqayv.jpg

Hmm, interesting. Good shot.

I would have cropped more off the bottom to emphasis the spaciness of the sky ... or a panorama with the island dead centre ... but that is just my personal taste.

I like this but I might play around with different crops to see if I could make the island larger without ruining the image.

I think that pic is absolutely awesome. I just looked at it for 5 minutes in awe. I don't pretend to be an expert in composition (or photography) but i look at thousands of pics on here and read critiques carefully every day and I think it is photo of the month material. The smooth uninterrupted water and beautiful creamy sky just totally rock. The island centered and small actually works well for me; makes me think of some desert isle or troll kingdom. The island in that sea of gentle, smooth "dead" space really pops out. Thanks for my favorite pic in awhile.

I like it, can i ask why you elected ISO 50?

I've played with ISO 50 with positive results, but understanding I'll not be able to recover as much from highlights if i'm overexposed

Thank you for the comments, everyone.

I like it, can i ask why you elected ISO 50?

I've played with ISO 50 with positive results, but understanding I'll not be able to recover as much from highlights if i'm overexposed

When I stack the 6 and 10-stop ND filters I know that an exposure of 1/200th sec become 5 minutes and 27 seconds, which is the exposure time I want. Since I was using the 17-35mm I knew f/5.6 would give me plenty of DOF. So to get 1/200th sec while using f/5.6 for the non-ND filter exposure, I needed ISO 50.

Great example of a photo that breaks the rule of thirds and succeeds. Very nice.

agree great as is. The island is framed great by the highlights in the water, keeps my eye moving around the frame and always finding something interesting. Well done.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back