Long exposures and my remote(s) don't mix well?

simion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys

So, as you probably all know, i own a Nikon D90. Long time ago, i got my first wireless remote. i went out, and put it to test. One click to open the shutter, one to close it. (bulb mode)

A few weeks later, i had to literally hold down the button to keep the shutter open. The same night, that didn't work anymore either. Also, when selecting my shutter release mode to "remote", i would only get exposure times up to 10". If i take this shot, then the option of 30" opens up to me. However, if i twist it after 30", instead of giving me BULB mode, it shows on the screen " -- ".

Now, if i switch my shutter release to normal (single), it lets me go in the bulb mode. I switch back to remote, it doesn't. I'm so confused.

Someone recommended me to switch the battery in the remote. While i was too lazy to get one ordered, i ordered a battery grip that came with an infrared remote. Same story. Max exposure time for remote is 30", and then "--", instead of bulb. (it might be worth to say that when in the -- mode, it just takes pictures as it would normally ).

HURR

Yes, i missed that out of the original post, but i am in fully manual mode

Late edit: and to prove i'm not absolutely stupid : http://i.imgur.com/Gg4tS.jpg
It can't be seen properly, but that is indeed manual.

Last edited:
That "- -" display means it is set to use the ML-L3 remote and not the main shutter release in bulb mode. See page 85 of your owner's manual.

FYI, if you shutter speed is going to be longer than about 10 seconds (give or take), the slight vibration from pressing the shutter button, is not likely to affect the image.

@SCraig, i know. As you can see, next to "BKT" the shutter release is the remote - ML-L3. And it worked before, but from a time, it stopped working, for a reason that i can't quite pinpoint.
@Big Mike, yes, i tried that :p however, when i'm doing 2-3 minutes, maybe even longer, it is likely to shake the camera a bit, and/or it gets really, really uncomfortable

LE: no other ideas then?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back