Long Shutter Cycle Nikon D3200

BigJiLm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, getting more into photography, and bought one of these intro cameras and its now taking a good 5 seconds after I shoot for the camera to do its thing, and show the photo on the LED.

I typically prefer to use auto focus & such and I don't see I can adjust shutter speed with the scroll wheel.

Can anyone help me with this, or is it normal for it to take a good 3-5 seconds to take a photo?

Thank you in advance!

It sounds as if you have a really slow and cheap SD card.

It sounds as if you have a really slow and cheap SD card.
Good idea, I'll go get a speedy new one & report back. Makes complete sense.

If you are in shutter priority, you can adjust shutter speed with the command dial. In manual mode, you can change shutter speed with the command dial (or press the exposure compensation button and use the command dial to adjust aperture). I think you are talking about the review image that is displayed after the image it taken. The actual capture of the image does not take that long, it just takes a little time to process the image and display it on the screen. Changing the SD card will not speed this up.

If you just purchased the D3200, I assume it was used. If you did not get an owners manual, you can download one from the Nikon web site. Also, Google D3200 tutorial. There are several free tutorials that will help you. The D3200 will take very good images, but it has limited controls, so you really need to know how to use the menus most effectively.

Last edited:
If you are in shutter priority, you can adjust shutter speed with the command dial. In manual mode, you can change shutter speed with the command dial (or press the exposure compensation button and use the command dial to adjust aperture). I think you are talking about the review image that is displayed after the image it taken. The actual capture of the image does not take that long, it just takes a little time to process the image and display it on the screen. Changing the SD card will not speed this up.

If you just purchased the D3200, I assume it was used. If you did not get an owners manual, you can download one from the Nikon web site. Also, Google D3200 tutorial. There are several free tutorials that will help you. The D3200 will take very good images, but it has limited controls, so you really need to know how to use the menus most effectively.

Hello, it was new, had it for 4 years or so. I'll try your suggestions. Thanks and what is a good upgrade in the Nikon family?

Thanks and what is a good upgrade in the Nikon family?

nothing, just keep shooting and learning for now. All cameras do the same basic functions to take an image.

Maybe you have a lot of image-processing controls set...dynamic range optimizer, noise reduction come to mind. A two-button reset could set you back to normal.

Last edited:
I have a D5200, which is a step up from the D3200. I upgraded to a D7200 due to the better controls and autofocus system. To be sure, I can get as good an image with the D5200 as with the D7200, but the D7200 is easier, quicker and more efficient to work with. All three have essentially the same sensor. I'm not sure if it is worth going to the D500 or D7500 unless you do video. The DX format works fine with me and I have no interest in the added weight and cost of an FX system.

D7200 WOULD be a nice, genuine upgrade-- 2-button controls, better Auto focusing system, built-in autofocusing motor, better viewfinder, better rear screen,ability to AF older lenses, second curtain flash sync, etc..

The D3200 will take very good images, but it has limited controls, so you really need to know how to use the menus most effectively.

This is very true.

Is your camera accidentally set on self timer? (The setting you use for example for a family picture. You put the camera somewhere with a 5-30sec delay, run to your family and then wait all together till the camera goes off :345: )

Geez, I never thought of the self-timer... It would sure explain a lot!

Original post doesn't say if the camera clicks and takes 5 seconds to display, or if it takes 5 seconds to even click. That would be good information! What part of the action is in "do its thing?"

Thanks and what is a good upgrade in the Nikon family?

nothing, just keep shooting and learning for now. All cameras do the same basic functions to take an image.

I agree, getting a better camera won't do much for you until you learn how to maximize what you have.

There is also an exposure delay mode. I use this quite a bit when I am shooting from a tripod. It is a 2 to 3 second delay to allow the mirror up shake to subside before image is taken.

I'm biased because I have the same setup, but I think the 3200 takes pretty good photographs. They may not have the dynamic range and low-light capabilities that better cameras have, and they don't have all the bells and whistles (auto-bracketing, for example) but you can take really good photographs with that camera and lens.

As for camera configuration, personally I like the results with ISO 400 but it's so subjective that I hesitate to mention it at all. Just get out and shoot and try different things. To keep it somewhat organized, every time you go out to shoot, choose a configuration ISO X, f-whatever, and see what you can get. Or keep one thing constant (e.g., ISO) and play Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin with changing the aperture and shutter speed.

Ideally, you want to find your own "voice" which means getting out and shooting and figuring out how to make the photographs that you want to make.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back