Long Week...

mrmacedonian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Photo Topic 1: Beverages

Had a tough week this week and didn't have the time to bring this idea to a point I am proud of, but for the purpose of an educational experience I still learned from it. Primarily in terrible lighting.. looks like I need to go grab some of those clamp lights everyone talks about.

Body: Canon 50D
Lens: Canon 50mm f/1.4
Focal Length: 50mm
Aperture: f/2.8
Shutter: 1/80s

4415668283_e669aed48b_b.jpg

Conclusions:

Overall I'm happy with the DoF and composition. I tried a lot more shots with the same type of cup in white and the contrast with the red cup/white milk/black cookies. The background isn't hot and I suppose I could have photoshop-ed it out but this demonstrates the poor lighting better. I will hopefully grab some new lights and try this and the other two shots I wanted for this assignment when I have some time in the future.

Last edited:
Oh i really don't like doing this but its part of the assignment lol....
It looks like what i see on my table every time my kids have oreos and milk.
It does however, make me want to go buy some more oreos!!
I like the dof.
I'm wondering what it would have looked like if the oreos were laying down and maybe spread with a few on top of each other, rather than stacked....??? But i know, that wouldn't have hit 3 of the spots!

I like the idea here. I think the floating cookies make an interesting subject that does well at holding attention... the ribbed edges with white milk filling them creates a neat pattern.

The lighting is pretty boring as you hinted at. Also, you didn't mention ISO. The shot looks grainy and not quite sharp on the key areas. Did you use a tripod and mirror lock-up?

I think if you're going to do something this simple you need to zoom in and get some texture or make it graphic at least. (I know you said it was a rough week, don't worry about it, we all have lives and get it)

Here's a quick crop and I got rid of one of the "floaters". Something like this with all the texture of the cookies might work well.
4417862082_c9b57effcf_o.jpg

This way is an original way to fill out the thirds. As you noted the contrast between the cup and the cookies is really good. The thing that I don't like is the background, it may be personal.

I am noticing that the picture is noisy; was the ISO high?. I would guess yes based on the speed (1/80) and the noise in the picture.

Definitely I would have the cookies!

Reminds me of Saturday mornings watching Merry Melodies, listening to Pink Floyd and having a case of the munchies. :lol:

You almost caught a cute smilie face with the cup and two Oreos in the milk. Apart from liking the contrast between the milk and the cup and really liking Oreos and milk, not much else is talking to me here.

The Grid.....
mrmacedonianP1.jpg

Thanks for sharing.​

Was this an Automatic White Balance?

Yes the Dom P.S.T.D. highly recommends clamp lights, Daylight bulbs (50w are nice), and posterboards (different colors) as they give you backdrops and even reflectors.

The photo grabs your attention especially with the off stacking of the Oreos.

Although i like the composition, it looks thrown together and i think you could try some more possibilities.

Also the white balance seems a bit off to me.

This is a tough one. The depth of the cup demands a high angle, and the background/tabletop isn't very interesting. You chose to use shallow DOF to blur the background, but that leaves only a small portion of the cup and cookie stack in clear focus, and that didn't include the contents of the cup. I really think the cookies floating in the cup should have been sharper.

I think your idea is quite appealing and could work really well, but as you stated the lighting needs help, and I personally would prefer more DOF but that might just be me. Also I don't know if the vignette was intentional or just caused from the lighting available, but I don't think it is adding to the photo.

p.s. i haven't read any other c&c yet so sorry if anything is in duplication

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back