Lookbook photo style

waday said:
Not to get off topic, but... walking a thin line of racism.

I meant ghetto in the modern sense of "low-budget, cobbled-together gear".

As from Urban Dictionary: jury-rigged, improvised, or home-made (usually with extremely cheap or sub-standard components), yet still deserving of an odd sense of respect from ghetto dwellers and non-ghetto dwellers alike

The lighting effect is designed to look like QUARTZ work lights, shined through shower curtains. See the BIG areas of really hot, specular highlights on the models' facers? THAT is the way quartz light, blasted through cheap diffusion lights up a face.

The whole campaign is an effort to look "low-budget", home-made, "authentic", "street". Perhaps you're not familiar with the term "ghetto lighting ". Apparently not.

ghetto lighting gear - Google Search

Flickr: Discussing Ghetto Lighting Techniques in Shmobist

Studio Lighting - The Ghetto Studio - DIY Photography

Ghetto Lighting.... | Videomaker.com

@Derrel

You are being very demeaning and you have made no real useful contribution to my question. I would appreciate it if you would back off, because I can see you're not really here to help. I'm not going to spend too much time to counter your attacks, because they come from a buried ignorance. But i'll just let you know I've worked in advertising and marketing for several years and set up and designed multiple ads and campaigns for brands like Timex and Nixon. I probably know as much about advertising as you do about photography.

@waday

Cheers, it's from the 'Little Prince' book.

waday said:
Not to get off topic, but... walking a thin line of racism.

I meant ghetto in the modern sense of "low-budget, cobbled-together gear".

As from Urban Dictionary: jury-rigged, improvised, or home-made (usually with extremely cheap or sub-standard components), yet still deserving of an odd sense of respect from ghetto dwellers and non-ghetto dwellers alike

The lighting effect is designed to look like QUARTZ work lights, shined through shower curtains. See the BIG areas of really hot, specular highlights on the models' facers? THAT is the way quartz light, blasted through cheap diffusion lights up a face.

The whole campaign is an effort to look "low-budget", home-made, "authentic", "street". Perhaps you're not familiar with the term "ghetto lighting ". Apparently not.

ghetto lighting gear - Google Search

Flickr: Discussing Ghetto Lighting Techniques in Shmobist

Studio Lighting - The Ghetto Studio - DIY Photography

Ghetto Lighting.... | Videomaker.com
I understand what you are saying, and I'm not calling you racist. However, I find the use of 'ghetto' in relation to what was stated as offensive and ignorant.

You can quote how many times it's stated somewhere or used, but that doesn't change that 'ghetto' has a very racial/prejudicial past.

5554118331_1272_internet_tough_guys_e_thug.jpeg

Actually if you review the thread you'll find that derrel provided an exact and detailed description of how to shoot the Supreme look.

That was a pretty direct contribution.

His editorializing is pretty sharp too, if you can get past the attitude. It's worth it. Bit the technical details alone should earn him a little slack.

If you look at all the Supreme "lookbook" photos, taking particular attention to people wearing glasses, it's pretty apparent how they are shot.

"There holds great truths within reflections... If only anyone would bother to look..."

It looks like a smallish room with windows and white walls. I'm sure it's well lit and using a lot of ambient. Specifically, a row of window to the subject's right, with diffused panels across them. (ie. shower curtains) as well as a window in the very rear of the room that provides front fill.

There appears to be an on camera flash being used to fill the subject, but it doesn't really seem to be contributing. And I don't see any use of reflect on the subject's left, maybe just another white wall that's reflecting the wall of windows opposite.

as far as processing, they are desaturated and dulled and the black point is raised in the curves to make it appear gray.

I find the use of the Misfit's Fiend Logo on their merchandise offensive and borderline racist and I've emailed The Misfit's record label to inquire about a potential copyright infringement, since this logo has been copyrighted since 1978 when it was created by Jerry Caiafa (Jerry Only) and is currently held by Cyclopian Music.

Last edited:
Ok, so I've experimented with my new 50 mm (that I really need to get used to btw) with the tips you provided. I'm getting close but i'm still miles off. The close flash is certainly not the only thing that makes Terry's photos look they way they do. Any thoughts as of what I could do to get closer to his results? Biggest problem is the skin tone, I can't get it right. I've messed around in lightroom and photoshop for about an hour. See attachment for my photo and see the photo below of Aaron Paul as a reference to skin tone.

- http://kingoftheflatscreen.com/wp-c...n-paul-terry-richardson-050113-6-1024x682.jpg

@Braineack
First of all, thank you for the insights on their studio light. So there is a light on the left from viewers perspective. I also noticed that it appears to be behind the subject. This probably helps to avoid shadows?

I find the use of the Misfit's Fiend Logo on their merchandise offensive and borderline racist and I've emailed The Misfit's record label to inquire about a potential copyright infringement, since this logo has been copyrighted since 1978 when it was created by Jerry Caiafa (Jerry Only) and is currently held by Cyclopian Music.

What Supreme lookbook are you looking at? I don't see any Misfits in their current collection. Supreme is pretty much the biggest urban brand in the world holding a record of collaborations with the worlds most renowned artists, brands and bands (Disney, Peter Saville, Roy Lichtenstein, KAWS, David Lynch, Neighborhood, Northface, Comme des Garçons, Nike, Pink Panter, and so on) so I wouldn't really worry about copyright infringement. Besides, why on earth would it be racist?

Attachments

• michael_1.jpg
    michael_1.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 102
I'm just being an ass, plus I like to hyberpolize., but they used it on the spring/summer 2013 lookbook. I don't like how it's popular in the hip-hop/urban community; it doesn't make sense.

I'd say you shot yours a bit too close to get the shadow correct. Further away with more light will get the shadow to look more like Terry. Looks you shot at 18mm and didn't really fill the frame, try a longer focal range, of between 30-50mm and fill the subject in the frame.

I spent a good 15 seconds on your image and got this:

Attachments

• michael_1-1.jpg
    michael_1-1.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 95
@Braineack

A lot of hip hop is actually really close to punk and hardcore, besides Supreme did a collaboration a couple weeks back with Raymond Pettibon (artist from Black Flag). It really isn't just about hip hop.

Your photos do make the photo look a lot better, but I find the skin tone still not where it should be. In Terry's pictures the skin is brownish.

increase the vibrancy more.

I saw Ice T at warped tour once.

stand out in the sun for a few days?

yes, but I'd say the one I edited more closely resembles the majority of his shoots.

example: http://images.freshnessmag.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/03/terry-richardson-action-jackson-05.jpg

he was using his DMC-GF1 for the Aaron Paul shoot, so that might have something to do with how it captures color/skin.

but this image is still pretty washed out/red: http://www.damedolive.com/wp-conten...rry-Richardson-GQ-Style05_damedolive.com_.jpg

considering the difference in the shadow intensity I'd assume it was done in post. not quite exactly sure what was done.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back