What's new

Looking at general purpose telephotos for wildlife

So I think I'm down to the Sigma 150-500 or the Nikon 300 f/4 prime. I just can't convince myself on the Tamron for some reason. I realize I'll have to compromise some sharpness to get more reach with an off-brand lens. I'm not taking pro-level photos but my issues have always been with camera shake at long lengths and I think that OS might help that for times when I don't have a tripod. When we were out in Yellowstone last year I only had the cheap 70-300 and it was no where near enough range. They tend to frown on you trying to get closer to the grizzlies because your lens isn't long enough. That's the reason I'm looking at something with more range. I don't really know what way to go and I'll probably end up waffling on it for months and never make a decision.
 
[h=2]Looking at general purpose telephotos for wildlife[/h]

Statement doesn't really go together. If its for wildlife, how can it be general purpose?
 
I meant a lens that's good for shooting all types of wildlife in varied conditions. Not just a lens that works really well for birding, etc. I guess most telephotos fall into that but some don't and it was just the best way my brain thought to describe what I was after when I was typing the title.
 
I have a Sigma 150-500 OS and haven't had any problems

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum
 
I read just a few minutes ago that somebody used the Nikon 80-400mm VR on a D7000 and focus speed was not terrible. It's not as fast as a lens with a built in motor but the internal motor on the D7000 is good enough to make focus better. Can anybody verify this? If that's the case I would certainly consider this lens over the Sigma....
 
Personally i'd go for a used Sigma 300 f/2.8 or the 120-300 f/2.8 with a converter (though its going to be around the top end of your budget), but next best I think would be the Sigma 150-500 f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM. Comes down to personal choice and I guess more likely to budget.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom