Looking for 1960's photography knowledge

Adrian Williams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. I'm new to the forum and thread but have been an amateur photographer since my youth in the 70's beginning with my Kodak Hawkeye Instamatic! I'm looking for anyone with knowledge of a "Timesphoto" caption that often accompained newpaper articles in the 1960's. I don't want to assume it was the NY Times, and want to be as accurate as possible for a book I'm writing. Thus far internet searches have been confusing as many newspapers utilize "Times" in their organization's name. "Timesphoto" captions show up in various newspapers throughtout the country leading me to believe it may be the NY Times. Also it is my understanding that photographers who worked for newspapers during this period (1950's - 1960's), per their contracts often ceded ownership rights of these photographs to the newspaper organizations who hired them. Is this true?

"Timesphoto" may be a reference to Time (Time Life) magazine. This was a very popular magazine with many famous photographers whose photos appeared in it. Some as contractors ... many who became staff photographers.

Also it is my understanding that photographers who worked for newspapers during this period (1950's - 1960's), per their contracts often ceded ownership rights of these photographs to the newspaper organizations who hired them. Is this true?
I think you'll find that copyright of images taken whilst employed on a salleried basis to take said photos normally belongs to the employer.

A little before my time, but I took journalism in school and was editor of my high school newspaper.

The photo credit would have to fit across a certain number of columns in a newspaper (depending on the page layout). A small article and/or photo might have to fit over two columns for example.

It's an abbreviation for the name of whatever newspaper the article was published in. I looked up some examples; in this screenshot it looks like the photo credit could potentially fit over just one column as needed.

Northwest Arkansas Times, April 15, 1974, p 2.png

The credit was probably given as 'TIMESphoto By' the photographer's name because most likely the photographer was on staff and it was a 'work for hire' situation.

A little before my time, but I took journalism in school and was editor of my high school newspaper.

The photo credit would have to fit across a certain number of columns in a newspaper (depending on the page layout). A small article and/or photo might have to fit over two columns for example.

It's an abbreviation for the name of whatever newspaper the article was published in. I looked up some examples; in this screenshot it looks like the photo credit could potentially fit over just one column as needed.

View attachment 170726

The credit was probably given as 'TIMESphoto By' the photographer's name because most likely the photographer was on staff and it was a 'work for hire' situation.

Thanks. This accurately portrays what I am finding on the photos I want to use.

Also it is my understanding that photographers who worked for newspapers during this period (1950's - 1960's), per their contracts often ceded ownership rights of these photographs to the newspaper organizations who hired them. Is this true?
I think you'll find that copyright of images taken whilst employed on a salleried basis to take said photos normally belongs to the employer.

Thank you

"Timesphoto" may be a reference to Time (Time Life) magazine. This was a very popular magazine with many famous photographers whose photos appeared in it. Some as contractors ... many who became staff photographers.

Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back