Looking for a 70-300mm lens

carvinrocks2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have purchased over half of my lenses used. It's the only way I can afford a good lens. Could you let us know why you want a 70-300? With that much range, those types of lenses tend to have one good spot with acceptable in other ranges.

I have purchased over half of my lenses used. It's the only way I can afford a good lens. Could you let us know why you want a 70-300? With that much range, those types of lenses tend to have one good spot with acceptable in other ranges.

I want to be able to shoot wildlife from a distance, including birds and such. Once in awhile I would want to use it for sports photography.

I know a 300mm lens is what I want because I already have a 210mm lens for my Nikon N2000 and it's reach isn't close enough...

I've had good luck with the Tamron 70-300.

I'm not sure about compatibility with canon since I shoot nikon, but that's the same lens I like with a different mount. The quality should be the same. I can give you some examples from it if you'd like.

I'm not sure about compatibility with canon since I shoot nikon, but that's the same lens I like with a different mount. The quality should be the same. I can give you some examples from it if you'd like.
That would be great!

Here's a few:

main.php

main.php

main.php

Edit: for some reason one of them isn't showing up, but you get the idea:)

Rally, it looks like you kinda missed the focus for the subject matter in the first one (raise f/stop some), so may not be a great representation what the lens can do. I personally love my (Nikon) 70-300 and would recommend the format to anyone. I do love using mine as a ghetto macro lens.

Last edited:
Your current 210mm lens is on a 35mm film SLR. On your Digital Rebel / 300D, the smaller APS-C sensor crops the middle of the image to provide a 1.6x field of view crop factor. A 300mm lens mounted on it will have the same field of view as a 480mm lens would have on your film SLR.

Have you considered the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS? The 250mm lens would have the same field of view that a 400mm lens would have if mounted on your film SLR.

Your current 210mm lens is on a 35mm film SLR. On your Digital Rebel / 300D, the smaller APS-C sensor crops the middle of the image to provide a 1.6x field of view crop factor. A 300mm lens mounted on it will have the same field of view as a 480mm lens would have on your film SLR.

Have you considered the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS? The 250mm lens would have the same field of view that a 400mm lens would have if mounted on your film SLR.
Never thought of that but a 300mm lens would be a little better when getting bird shots and such, but if I can get a 55-250mm refurbished lens for around the same price with alot better picture quality than I might do that.

Rally, it looks like you kinda missed the focus for the subject matter in the first one (raise f/stop some), so may not be a great representation what the lens can do. I personally love my (Nikon) 70-300 and would recommend the format to anyone. I do love using mine as a ghetto macro lens.

Thanks for the feedback, but the baby geese seem to be in focus. Maybe towards the bottom they fell out a bit, good call.

If you're saying I missed the focus on the adult geese, then I have to disagree. The only time I aim for them is when I'm driving.

Thanks for the feedback, but the baby geese seem to be in focus.

I honestly don't see how there is any question that you missed the focus on the baby geese as a whole...very soft.

Thanks for the feedback, but the baby geese seem to be in focus.

I honestly don't see how there is any question that you missed the focus on the baby geese as a whole...very soft.

Those fuzzy little bastards just look soft I guess.

I retract my previous statement. I was aiming for the ass end of the right adult goose:)

Most reactions

Back