Looking for a backpack under 100$

ultimadrift

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've been looking for a backpack under 100$ that would fit all my equipment as its growing too large to fit in my small over the shoulder bag. Heres a list of the equipment I have
Nikon D600
Nikon 17-35mm f2.8
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8
Nikon 50mm f1.4
Sony NEX 6
Voigtlander 35mm f1.4
2 x Nikon SB800
12 inch ultrabook

The obvious question is "Why on earth are you carrying two flashes, four lenses, two cameras, and a frikkin laptop with you every time you go out to shoot!?"

I have 11 lenses, 3 camera bodies, 3 flashes, and a laptop in my collection. How much do I carry to a shoot?
Usually either a single body with a lens on it, or MAYBE that + one other lens in my pocket or in a pouch on my belt (if so, it's usually one zoom that covers what I want to shoot, such as a 70-200 for portraits or a 24-105 for landscapes and environment + one prime that either complements the zoom or is redundant but with much faster aperture, if the zoom is slow). If I expect to need a flash, I just leave it on my camera until needed, with any radio remotes in my pocket.

Carrying 40 lbs of gear is not going to get you better photos.

WORST case scenario, if you're going to some event where you will have to shoot a huge variety of things without any time to go to your car or anything (like maybe a full service wedding package with everything from ring macro to getting ready to event to dancing, etc.), then mayyyybe it would be justifiable to have a small shoulder bag that holds 3 lenses or 2 and a body or so. Otherwise, bring the the gear that's going to get you the vast majority of the type of shot you're setting out to get for that trip, and nothing else.

This forces you to focus your mental energy on the shot you set out to take, minimizes distractions, speeds you up considerably (carrying less + side pouches, holsters, or shoulder bags are much easier to access than a backpack that you have to take off to access), makes you happier, lets you stay out for longer, and saves you $$ in chiropractic bills. All of which will = more fun and/or profits from your photography.

Last edited:
I actually take quite a bit on some shoots like umbrellas light stands etc. I know its not for every shoot I take so much stuff but I still need a bag when I do need to take all of my gear for shoots

I actually take quite a bit on some shoots like umbrellas light stands etc. I know its not for every shoot I take so much stuff but I still need a bag when I do need to take all of my gear for shoots
Ah. So not just casual shooting, okay good. Is your shooting location usually in the wilderness for these types of shoots? Or somewhere connected to you by roads/paths?

I have found that a little old lady-style fold up grocery cart works very well for carrying lights and stands and stuff for artificially lit on location things, with less pain, if the path is rollable. And they usually cost like $60.

Otherwise, a generic hiking backpack would probably be cheaper. Since I still think it sounds totally unnecessary to carry more than a couple of lenses for any short term shoot, you can put one on your camera, one and two flashes in a small normal shoulder bag, and all of the more durable stuff, poles, brollies, softboxes, snacks, water, beauty touch up products (?), whatever could go in the pack.

Also, if you're hiking through the woods or whatever to a location, this thing is awesome: Cotton Carrier Lite belt system : AvidMaxOutfitters.com
Lets you carry your DSLR weight with whatever your heaviest lens is on your hips, which feels like nothing even if it's like 4-5 pounds.

I have the Black Rapid where I usually carry 2 cameras with me but I also need a bag next to me so I can change lenses if need be.

Still, I suggest a hiking bag. If you insist on a 3rd lens, just bring a T-shirt and wrap one more lens to keep in there in one of the outer zipper pouches, or something. No reason for a dedicated camera bag with 14 pouches for lenses and things that you don't need + the resulting inability to carry normal things like light stands and such, like you could easily in a legit normal backpack.

This would work, but it might be tight. Academy - Hello Kitty Big Face Backpack

This is one of the best resorces around on camera bags of all types. Reviews - Cambags.com Camera Bag Resource.
Go to the bag type tab, select backpack and choose the style you think you need for the gear you intend to normally carry. Once you narrow down you choices check the prices to find the ones that will work for you and you can live with the price. Good luck.

I'm seriously considering this one myself: Amazon.com: USA GEAR Professional DSLR Camera and Laptop Backpack / Sling Case for Nikon D600 , D3100 , D5100 and Many More Digital SLR Cameras - Includes Cleaning Kit: Camera & Photo

I like the Lowepro Slingshot 302, but it's $129.

I don't need to take all my current gear when I go shoot, but I also do need a place to put/store it all. I don't like having my gear spread around in multiple bags all over the place...I want a single bag I can put it all in (small items have a nasty habit of growing legs in my house...).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't need to take all my current gear when I go shoot, but I also do need a place to put/store it all. I don't like having my gear spread around in multiple bags all over the place...I want a single bag I can put it all in (small items have a nasty habit of growing legs in my house...).
Cabinet / shelves?

I'm seriously considering this one myself: Amazon.com: USA GEAR Professional DSLR Camera and Laptop Backpack / Sling Case for Nikon D600 , D3100 , D5100 and Many More Digital SLR Cameras - Includes Cleaning Kit: Camera & Photo

I like the Lowepro Slingshot 302, but it's $129.

The LowePro slingshot 302 is actually under $100 right now: Amazon.com: Lowepro SlingShot 302 AW: Electronics

I have the LowePro slingshot 102 and the 202; I love them both, but 90% of the time, I take the 102 for any photo trips where all I need is some gear (and I have reasonably quick access to the car, if I wanted any additional items). It's amazing what I can get in that little bag--my gripped D7000, with the 70-300 on it, along with both the 18-55 kit lens and another lens (either the 50mm f/1.8 or my Tokina 100mm macro). That still leaves room in the upper compartment for my flash and triggers (OR an additional lens, if I'm not taking the flash). Cards, batteries,etc. in the outside pocket and I've got all I need. Then I just use a fanny pack for water bottles and snacks.

The only time I've not been thrilled with this setup is when I'm hiking and know I'll be gone all day with no car access. So far, everything I've tried has been lacking in some way, but I *just* bought a new backpack that I'm hopeful is going to be what I want. It's just a standard hiking backpack, not a camera bag--but it's got two really nice long pockets on the sides that I can put lenses in, a front section where I can put the camera and other accessories and then a large back compartment which I plan to use for snacks, drinks and change of clothes (if it's THAT kinda trip). I got a small insulated bag that will fit right down in the bottom of the bag for drinks. I usually freeze several bottles of water and pack them so that I've got cold water pretty much all day. I'll also still use the fanny pack, but it will be for additional lenses that I want faster access to. It was a $50 backpack, much like this.

I adapted a 5.11 24hr with a camera bag insert I bought off of Amazon. I think the total came to $100. I usually only carry One body Two lenses and One flash. Maybe a couple of filters, some extra batteries and stuff to clean.

BUT I have fit 4 lenses, One body with a grip, Two flashes with transceivers and a 15" Macbook Pro with all the goodies.

With tripod and lighting equipment attached lol.

Looks like the price went up a bit

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/5-11-Rush-Bac...?ie=UTF8&qid=1372965797&sr=8-11&keywords=5.11

Most reactions

New Topics

Back