Looking for a Canon Telephoto Zoom

Sobek5150

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
community.webshots.com
I'm looking to purchase a Canon Telephoto Zoom lens anywhere from 28mm - 300mm. I've looked at a few, namely the Canon EF 28-135 f/3.5 - 5.6 IS USM, the Canon EF 28-200 f/3.5 - 5.6 USM, and the Canon EF 75 - 300 f/4.0 - 5.6 III USM.

These lenses go in order of most expensive to least. I know that the more expensive the lens I get, the better quality the elements will be, thus giving me better picture quality.

Does anyone have any suggestions out of these three on which I should get? If not of these three, any particular lens that's close to your heart that might be a good choice? My price cap is at about $500. Thanks!

I haven't used any of the 3 you mention but I'd think the best one would be the 28-135 with IS.

You don't say whether you shoot nature or portraits etc so it's difficult to say what would be best. the 28-135 is no use for bird watching while the 75-300 would be pretty poor for portraits.

In general terms though, the 28-135 would be the best lens.

I've owned the 28-135mm for years, and have been quite happy with it. I used it until it was old and creaky, but I've still got it in a drawer for potential future use.

[EDIT]
Oops, sorry, answered in this topic instead of creationg a new thread, sorry, can a MOD please delete this post?
[/EDIT]

Well I do mostly nature photography, though portraiture has always been an interest of mine. For a while I was going to go with the 28 - 135 because it is a nice middle of the road. Then, of course, I started to think "What if I want to shoot animals, birds, etc.." which led me to looking for a longer focal length.

I guess it comes down to wanting a nice range of lenses and not having enough money to buy into them :p.

Thanks for the advice.

I shot with the 70-300 IS USM model you mentioned before and was not impressed by it's functionality or image quality. The focusing was slow and the IS on it drained the battery in less than 80 shots. Maybe I had a lemon; who knows. If you are willing to splurge an extra $50 take a look at the EF 70-200 f/4 L. You sacrifice a little in zoom but make up for it in image quality. It is larger and heavier than the models you are looking at so keep that in mind. With no IS you do have to watch your shutter speed for really sharp photos wide open. I have been able to hand hold shots down to 1/40 with good results. Monopods and tripods are a bit cumbersome for nature photography. At least in my case. For more zoom you can use the 1.4x teleconverter but loose AF and one f stop. For nature photography where you can get fairly close to the subjects, say between 10-35 feet, this lens rocks. I have the 17-85 IS for everyday shooting, the 70-200 for medium telephoto & just got the EF 300 f/4 L IS for that extra reach.

Most reactions

Back