Looking for a decent inexpensive camera

Devin Magruder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I'm just having trouble looking for a camera to get. Uhh, I'm trying to find an inexpensive camera, preferably $150 or less. Since I'm also an elevator photographer, I want a camera that takes good video. I'm currently looking at the Canon PowerShot a2500, PowerShot sx150 IS, and Samsung WB250f. I dunno, is there something better? I really don't care what kind of camera it is as long as it has good quality image and microphone, and can focus during recording.

Welcome aboard.

Is "elevator photographer" literal?

That's a new one on me. Do you take pictures OF elevators, or do you take pictures ON elevators? Because it seems like taking pictures while on an elevator could bring that awkward feeling of how to interact with others in that tiny closed space to a whole new level.

Because it seems like taking pictures while on an elevator could bring that awkward feeling of how to interact with others in that tiny closed space to a whole new level.

Like a certain video that recently made it's way to the news.

it seems like taking pictures while on an elevator could bring that awkward feeling of how to interact with others in that tiny closed space to a whole new level.

Perhaps not. Wouldn't everyone continue to stare at the numbers regardless of what was happening?

I take videos while riding elevators. Basically you hear the motor and the chime, and you see the fixtures. I also take photos of those fixtures as well. Uh, my computer's about to burn up. Yeah, I know this is random, but it started making a loud noise.

Maybe you need a new computer before you get an elevator camera. (I would think a camera phone is ideal for elevators.) Welcome to the forum.

I take videos while riding elevators. Basically you hear the motor and the chime, and you see the fixtures. I also take photos of those fixtures as well. Uh, my computer's about to burn up. Yeah, I know this is random, but it started making a loud noise.

Ah. Well. That's certainly…unusual.

Might I ask a question?

WHY do you do that? I'm serious, I'm not just being funny. What is it that intrigues you so about elevator motors and chimes and fixtures, that you want to do this? And evidently, do it more than once, since you're wanting a camera specifically for this task.
I know that there are people who go around and photograph all the ballparks they can visit, or all the waterfalls they can find. People who go around photographing numbers and looking for the alphabet in objects, things like that.
But I have never before heard of someone who photographs elevator fixtures. And I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the reason for it.

Anyway, the camera.
You definitely want something with good video, I guess, to pick up the motor and chimes well.
I can't give advice about that, because I do almost no video at all. But I'd pick something pretty cheap if your computer is about to blow up!

Maybe he services elevators for a living. Someone's got to keep them running.

As for the OP's question, I can't think of anything in that price range that will have evrything you're looking for. If your budget were a little higher I would recommend a regular video camera that can also take stills.

Most reactions

Back