Looking for a new cam need advice!

gemNpaul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Let me start by saying this is a joint account.

The G side of this account is looking to purchase a camera and equipment that are tailored for the use of macros and portraits, but obviously a high quality cam for absolutely everything. RAW is essential.

There is no spending limit so literally the best performing camera in terms of quality, ergonomics, user-friendly and all that good stuff is what's needed.

In short: What's the best camera out there??

Thanks in advance.

P.

If the camera is not going into the field look into a Hasselblad H3. If you will be taking it outside, look into a Canon 1DS Mk2 and L lenses. I don't own nor have I shot either of these but the quality of the end product is terrific!

If you are going outside a lot and want the best flexibility and still want excellent photos look into a Nikon D2Xs or even a D200 (Much more manageable size).

Before you drop $45,000 though, you might want to find some place to rent all of them and try them out ;)

my $.02

mike

no limit... thats amazing...

No limit eh? First off, are you into medium format, SLR's or rangefinders? I am not much into rangefinders or medium format cameras so I will limit my advice to what I use; Canon DSLR. Well if I was the spending kind of person into DSLR's, I want the new Canon 1D Mark III along with the appropriate accoutrements. Great in-studio camera and even better in the field. The EOS 1 series is weather resistant, tough, durable and the new 1D is lighter than it's predecessors. For macro photography, the EF 180 F/3.5 L Macro cannot be beat unless they come out with a f/2.8 version with Image Stabilization. EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS for medium telephoto zoom, EF 24-105 f/4 L for general use, EF 16-35 f/2.8 L for wide angle and finish up with the EF 50 f/1.2 and EF 80 f/1.2 for telephoto. The EF 300 f/2.8 L IS & EF 400 f/2.8 IS for super telephoto if you want. You can get a Canon 5D if you do not want to lug around the 1D, but the buzz from the new 1D is tantalizing.
I am sure that Nikon make similar cameras and lenses that are just about the same in quality and performance, but I find Nikons tend to get noisy at higher ISO's and Canon's autofocus a tad better. Don't just read all of this advice though, go to the shop and test a couple of set ups. I settled on Canon only after testing several models and found I was just more comfortable with them in my hand. Since I shoot more nature and wildlife, I use the L series of lenses since they are moisture and dust resistant with unparalleled image quality. I believe Nikon has the ED line that is just the same.

it's all personal preference, walk into a pro camera supply store and hold and use the most expensive cameras they've got.

Personally, I hate the 1Ds Mk II. I don't' care if it's got a full frame sensor, I don't care if it's got 16MP, I think it's a peice of junk, when I used it, it got in the way of me taking pictures. It's counter-intuitive and takes two hands just to flip though the damn LCD. Pick up a Nikon D2xs and you can figure out how to use it in about 5 minutes.

Nikon D2X Canon 1Ds Mk II, Leica M8, Hasselblad H3, money is no object is a big statement to photographers. You can easily spend many thousands of dollars ($20,000+) in the case of the Hasselblad. So you really need to give a better definition to your statement and if that is really the case (money is not important) decide what type of system you want to get into and this will narrow down your choices alot and ask this question again.

As far as I'm concerned, the best way to find which camera is best is to look for reviews of the cameras produced by the top manufacturing companies right now. There are plenty of sites where you can find the reviews and it is only a matter of finding them. There may be one or two reviews per site per item but at least it's better than none at all. All it takes is a little effort and perseverance. Just my 2 cents.

Most reactions

Back