looking for a new lens!!

tatumheiser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i need some help/advice. i have the d7000. when i bought it i just bought the body & not the kit lens.. i opted to get a 50 1.8 instead. well i love the combination 90% of the time but the 50 in close quarters and/or small rooms it just doesnt cut it. i need something a little wider i guess. i like the prime lens, but am thinkin i would like to try a zoom. i really would like to stay under 400$ new or used i guess.. any suggestions?!

looking for a portrait/walkaround lens..

I would check out the Nikon 18-105.. you can find them used for less than that. 18-105mm AF-S DX Lens Review by Thom Hogan

Personally if I was buying in that price range.. I would go for a Nikon 16-85... much higher quality lens.. but a bit more expensive (worth it though)! 16-85mm AF-S DX Lens Review by Thom Hogan

The Nikon 10-24 is a great lens.. but not really good for people, since the UWA lenses do cause some distortion in faces, if you aren't careful! (plus costs more!)

These are all DX lenses though.. and you might want to consider FX lenses if you think you might ever go full frame sensor.

The 24-120 Nikon might be an option in an FX lens.. you can get them for less than your budget.

Maybe even the 24-85 FX... it is not the best... but it might do you...

Id suggest the tamron17-50mm f2.8 --awesome lens for around $400. The tamron 28-75mm 2.8 is also a great choice, and its fx, in case u upgrade to full frame later.

You might also consider trading your 50 in for a 35mm 1.8. That way you have a slightly wider prime but dont give up speed.

Most reactions

Back