Looking to purchase my second lens for indoor photography & portraiture. Suggestions?

rabbitluver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. I'm a beginner to dslr photography and I own a Nikon D5000 with a starter kit lens (Nikon DX, AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm lens, 1:3.5 - 5.6G). I'm looking to purchase a new lens that is well suited for photography taken indoors and suitable for portraiture as I enjoy taking pictures of friends and family at special events. Most of the time, the location of these events don't have the best lighting (e.g. restaurant, houses, etc) so I'm looking for a good lens that would help resolve these issues.

In regards how much I'm willing to spend on this new lens, I would like a versatile lens that's great for indoor photography (low light setting) and portraiture that would be a wonderful long term investment. I don't need the best thing out there on the market (most expensive), just something worth paying the money for based on it's performance. I am still a beginner.

I've been doing a bit of research as to what lens I should get. I read that prime lenses are a great choice. I was considering getting the Nikon 50mm f/1.8G lens. Suggestions/Recommendations please?

A 50mm 1.8G is a great lens from what I've heard. The 35mm AF-S is also and can be had for probably around or under 200 used. I suggest shooting with your 18-55 at 35mm and 50mm and see if you can tolerate either length.

If you're going to be shooting indoors a lot, I highly suggest an external flash. A used (or new if you want) SB-600/700. They really come in handy. A fast prime won't always be able to handle indoors without hicups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely agree on the flash. It will allow you to take clear sharp pictures indoors that you wouldnt be able to do...even with the fastest primes. I have a 50mm 1.4 and its great, but in low light, it needs the flash. Also, I would recommend the 35mm because you have a DX camera. I'm constantly moving back and I miss too many shots indoors because of the focal length...I think a 35 would be perfect for indoors on your D5000.

I use the 35 a lot and love its. Its fast, light, and quite inexpensive.

The new 50mm f1.8g is fantastic, even better then the expensive 1.4 version (sharper with better contrast and less CA at f2 and below). It would be my choice.

you mentioned family events.. i just think the 50mm on a cropped body will be a bit too long. try a 35mm

Most reactions

Back