Looking for a new point and shoot.

Indecision

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Few questions. I was going to buy a Canon SD 870is till I saw the new 880 comign out. I liked that it had a little more optical zoom (4.0 vs 3.8 which I thought was really a selling point for me) for basically the same price and I REALLY wanted a 3" LCD instead of 2.5". So it was worth it. Then as I was lookin at the specs. It shoots video in .mov isntead of .avi like the 870. The 890 shoots in .avi as well it also has 5x zoom which is awesome, but still has the 2.5" screen. I can get all of them for $300 +- $20

So basically I have 2 questions.

Is there really any downside to shooting video in .mov over .avi (it can obviously be converted later)? If the answer is none. Then the second question is do you think the 5x on the 890 over the 4x zoom on the 880 is worth stepping down to the the 2.5" screen?

On my old sd300 with the 2.5" some pics looked great on there but looked fuzzy blown up and i was hopin the larger screen would help alleviate that. Any input would be great. I'm don't know a lot about cameras.

Here's a link where you can compare features.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=113

Then in the upper right "choose the right product" then "product comparison"

your photos could be blurred for a multitude of reasons. could be down to you not focusing properly in the first place.

i'm not sure if there is a difference between .avi and .mov

I've got a Canon G9 for my point and shoot. i recommend that, but it's a bit more expensive

That's too big. I like the powershot series cuz they are so small and i can throw em in my pocket. And I understand that it was becuase it wasn't focused in the first place. But they looked clear on the 2.5 screen when reviewing, and was hoping more detail on the 3" would let me know I needed to take another pic. I should have clarified.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back