Looking for a new super zoom camera

bmurphy573

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. I have been taking some fairly good photos for the past 4 years with my Sony DSC HX200V. I mostly photograph nature - landscapes and wildlife.

The camera is getting pretty beat up from hauling it through our national park system, so I'm looking for a replacement. I bought a Sony Alpha a6000 with the standard lens kit 16-50mm. That was a big mistake. On a side note... I only used it for one trip and now I'm looking to sell it if anyone's interested.

Since I value simplicity and need a versatile camera that can shoot almost any scene, I assume another "super zoom" camera is the best choice. Autofocus, high optical zoom capability and a wide range for focal length would probably be the 3 most important factors... correct me if I'm wrong.

I could buy another Sony HX200V - they still exist. Optical zoom is 30x. Its minimum focal length is listed as 27mm and maximum focal length is 810mm. Price is $650.

Here are the other options:

Nikon Coolpix B700 - Optical zoom is 60x. Minimum focal length is 4.3mm and maximum is 258mm. The specs state that the angle of view is equivalent to that of 24-1440mm lens in 35mm format... whatever that means. Price is $450.

Sony DSC-RX10M4 - Digital zoom is 100x. Minimum focal length is 24mm and maximum is 600mm. Price is $1,700.

Sony DSC HX400V - Optical zoom is 50x. Minimum focal length is 24mm and maximum is 1200mm. Price is $400.

Any advice would be great. Thank you.

You are NOT going to find many (if any) people that frequent this forum that use (or even want) a "super zoom". They lack much of the ability of a inter changeable lens camera. And most of all lenses that have that much zoom are not the best quality.

What about the Alpha a6000 did you not like?

Some of the cameras you list show the actual lens focal lenght. Some list the equivalent view if it were a 35mm camera. And others list both. You only want to compare optical zoom. That is the lens. Digital zoom is just cropping the image from the sensor. Of the ones you listed. The Nikon B700 has the largest ranging lens.

get the Sony RX10 Mk IV

What they said. My Nikon Coolpix P60 has a decent optical zoom. But when it goes over to digital it's icky.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back