Looking for a second camera

nickzou

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
But I don't ever want to go back to PnS. Obviously, my ideal choices would be the X100 or the M9. But alas, I am not made of money. So should I go for a old consumer level Nikon, like the D50 (I have the D7k btw) so I can use all my lenses on it or something like Sony NEX-3?

Sometimes I don't want to lug around my pride and joy. Sometimes, I don't want people asking me about my camera and what the specs are and if it truly overexposes or not. And I find for street photography, that camera is intimidating, even if I put a dinky 50 on it. People still look at you funny. But mostly, I just want something lighter.

I know that you said no P&S but personally, I've been thinking more and more about getting a Canon G12. It's P&S but with the SLR user in mind and gives you all the same features as a DSLR (including the ability to shoot in RAW, a hot shoe flash mount, etc). The lens is decent with a range of 20-140mm. Next time I have $470 disposable dollars, it will probably be spent there. I'm looking into this for all the same reasons as you. There are so many shots that I miss out on b/c I didn't want to bring out my DSLR and didn't want to bring 3 or 4 different lenses. I think this is the obvious choice for me. You might look into it as well?

As an aside, it will also shoot 720p video. I have a relatively inexpensive canon elura 100 video cam that does a decent job, but I don't like getting it out either, as I really don't care to shoot video. I may do more video snippets though if I had it built into a decent P&S camera.

The D50, D70, and D80 will all serve you well and are all WELL under $500 (used) at this point in time. The D90 is the best option, but it's going for ~$600 on ebay right now.

Coincidentally, I happen to have this D80 posted right now:
View Profile: Destin - Photography Forum & Digital Photography Forum

It's only a little lighter than the D7k though. If you want a dslr that is lighter, look into the d40/d60/d3000/d3100 series. They require AF-S lenses to AF though.

For a truly smaller camera, both the Canon G12 and Nikon P7000 are pretty slick little cameras. They are large Point and shoots, but they have full manual controls and are very dslr-like.

The X100 does look pretty nice...

Whenever I buy another digital camera, it'll probably be that.

I pretty much only shoot film ... but when I want something pocket-sized, I use this-

With flash:

06231145 by J E, on Flickr

Without:

06231146 by J E, on Flickr

Without the flash, it's roughly the size of a cigarette pack (but thicker where the lens is).

Not what you're looking for, I'm sure, lol. But it's plenty capable. Very quiet too - it would be good for street/candid.

I picked up a D80 on craigslist for a couple of hundred bucks, it works fantastic.

The D80 is not that much smaller than the D7000. When I switched from te Rebel XT to the D80, I was like "Whao... this thing is a monster". But when I switched from the D80 to the D7000. I barely noticed the difference, apart from the fact that I couldn't figure out where they repositioned the AF mode button.

Is there a lens adaptor for Nikon glass?

Yes. I will probably get one for S&G, but most likey stay with native m43 lenses. Thus the reason for going small. I got the kit 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 and the 40-150mm f/4-5.6. I will rent the 9-18mm in October for a trip to the mountains before I buy, but that would give a decent range in three lenses. Reviews and images seems pretty decent from what I've read. But Olympus and Panasonic are starting to put out some impressive fast primes for the m43.

What kind of phone do you have? Now a days, phone are just as good!

I use my BB Tourch all the time.

So.. you didn't actually mention a budget, but the Leica D-Lux 5 looks pretty cool. I think it's like $800. 24-90mm f/2.0 equivalent. I was pondering a little easy to carry thing a while back and it caught my eye, seems nice, but I never ended up getting something small.

So.. you didn't actually mention a budget, but the Leica D-Lux 5 looks pretty cool. I think it's like $800. 24-90mm f/2.0 equivalent. I was pondering a little easy to carry thing a while back and it caught my eye, seems nice, but I never ended up getting something small.

hmmm... if I decide to go Leica for a second camera system I think I'd rather go with the Digilux 3. Go big or go home feels like the subliminal message Leica seems to be sending out. And I know the Digilux 3 isn't at all an M and it's definitely more money than I would want to spend. But for a Leica camera, it might be worth it. You know how they say M's are suppose to last a lifetime? I wonder if that is true for the Digiluxs as well.

The whole point of the mirror less systems is to be smaller and lighter but better than P&S. I second the notion of taking a look at the micro 43 system as Kundalini mentioned. I've had my system for a bit longer and it does fit my needs; with advantages and disadvantages. If you need more info, search my threads, the one Kundalini started, and/or just ask. Remember, its not just the size of the camera but the size of the lenses as well.

* NEX system has complaints against user interface but a bigger sensor. Bigger-sensor often means bigger lenses however. NEX native lenses are not that great.
* Digilux 3 is/was a rebranded DMC-L1 Panny of the 4/3 system (not micro 4/3). Lenses are expensive AND the system is not any smaller than your Nikon DSLRs (in fact bigger than D40). Its not a good fit for your original intention of smaller and lighter. It was not popular among the Leica crowd.
* Digilux 2 was popular and continues to be somewhat of a cult classic in the Leica crowd. It does fit the smaller and lighter but a bit larger than P&S and micro 43. It has sensor problems but Leica has (not sure if they continue to) to replace the sensor. The fixed zoom lens on it is very nice.

People I have run into with DSLRs that have been searching for a smaller second camera, I usually steer them to one of three solutions. The first being the least compromising down to the most:

* Smaller entry level DSLR of the same system.
* Mirrorless. Quality performance slotted above bridge cameras and right at entry level DSLRs. (Olympus Pens, Panasonic G*)
* High end point and shoot (Canon S95, G, Panasonic LX5, Olympus Zx-1, etc).

There's also a mix of options coming in that might work for you and not particular slotted in a category (niche market). Among those are the Fuji film X10, X100, Ricoh GXR etc...

There are some mirror less cameras that are approaching the size of the High end P&S so I'm more inclined to pass on the P&S now a days. Mirrorless has a significantly better feature set, interchangeable lenses (adaptable too), and larger sensor.

NOTE: Other than the S2, M9, and X1 (and upcoming mirror less in 2012), all other Leica digitals are rebranded Panasonics. As much as the Leica community insists there is a quality difference, I have not personally observed. My high end point and shoot is an LX3 not the rebranded Digilux 4.... happy with that too.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back