Looking for advice on buying digital camera

jarenadams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sometime in the next couple of months, I'm planning on purchasing a digital camera. Budget is $300-$400, and is like a camera that I can add on to in the future. I want want that isn't too complicated, but at the same time takes excellent quality photos. Any advice?

I don’t have any specific advice on what to buy but I will give you the best advice on buying camera gear - buy used from a reputable online seller like Adorama, B&H Photo or KEH. It will stretch your budget which you will find is very small when it comes to good camera bodies and lenses.

Hello and welcome, take a look on Amazon or eBay where you will find lots of cameras that would fit your needs. Good luck

I second SquarePeg's advice about buying used, considering your budget.

I, too, agree with SquarePeg. You might add Tri-State Camera to the list of sites to check out. They sometimes have really good deals.

Hi. You can check on Amazon or eBay to get what you prefer.

My advice is to start with a DLSR that is one of the more popular brands, (Nikon or Canon) for which you can find oodles of used, high quality lenses and other accessories. Try to find a deal that includes at least one lens, a battery, and charger so you can get started right away.

Sometime in the next couple of months, I'm planning on purchasing a digital camera. Budget is $300-$400, and is like a camera that I can add on to in the future. I want want that isn't too complicated, but at the same time takes excellent quality photos. Any advice?
I second the advice of KEH or B&H for a good deal. I bought a Fuji XT-2 that was labeled "excellent minus" but it looks, feels, and operates like a new camera. What I'm saying is that the rating system for both stores has been spot on accurate. If you're thinking of new, look at the Nikon D3500. Comes with a nifty zoom kit lens and has a built in strobe. Currently less than 4 hundred bucks, used. Other makers are also offering "starter" kits that are as least as good.
BTW, as a "starter", the built in strobe will save you cash as you move ahead. Often disdained in favor of a separate unit but only by some more experienced shooters. Now check out Nikon D3100, used. Also inexpensive--check out Rockwell's review of both cameras.
The 2 stores I listed also offer (free) limited warranty and a liberal exchange program. Good luck in your hunt!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back