Looking for C&C on B&W conversion.

I'm going to work on Andrew and Paige's comments later today and sharpen it up a bit, then I will repost.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Here is a before and after shot after making the suggested adjustments above. I'm not sure I nailed what Andrew suggested but I tried....I'm still learning CS6 and curves so I'm not very good at it yet.

C&C welcome. Thanks for looking.

1. Before

9484135142_5200114f87_z.jpg
[/URL] Hearts and Hat B&W by jwbryson1, on Flickr[/IMG]

2. After

9489728426_b14eb81d9d_z.jpg
[/URL] Hearts and Hat B&W 2 by jwbryson1, on Flickr[/IMG]

For whatever my two cents are worth, I'd still do some localized sharpening, especially on her eyes and I think I'd like to see a blend between the first and the second when it comes to her jammies as in the second rendition they seem a bit faded. You might also go back just a tiny smidgeon on the slider allowing a bit more tone in her face...but we're talking a mighty little bit.

I like the new version. The skin tones are very pale, but very smooth and flattering as well.

I looked at the reworked image from today, also on your Flickr account, at the 2,048x size...I can see that there are some areas that show more sharpening, and yes, the skin tones are brighter (more-white) and crisper...overall the new rework is what I'd call a Grade 4.5 contrast look...it's pretttty contrasty for a child's portrait...the field of the pajamas, the gray area, is also lighter, and the jammies command more attention in the new version than they did in the version from yesterday. Again, the pajama top now commands a lot more attention than it did yesterday, again with the light advances, dark recedes cliche, the subtle degree of lightening in the re-work makes the PJ's kind of separate from the black background. It's amazing how such subtle changes affect a photo!

I think the new one might make a better inkjet print.

Both are good, and show up as high-quality renderings. Nice goin!

Final edit....at some point I need to stop. I like each of these and appreciate all the great feedback...:hail:

9492219878_5fb1b7c73b_z.jpg
[/URL] Hearts & Hats 3 by jwbryson1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Good editing. I think you've hit all the finer points pretty well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back