What's new

Looking for cheap lenses for Nikon D5100

are you asking for suggestions for cheap lenses or if anyone has them for sale?
 
There are usually some on Criag's List around here.

Word of advice: You have a good camera. Don't wreck your photos with a junk lens.
 
We are always looking for lenses for a low price, so welcome to the club. Hit up craigslist, the buy/sell forums here, adorama, b&h, KEH, ebay. Be careful, be selective, and don't be afraid to buy used...just know what you are buying. Do your research.
 
Cheap lenses often have poor IQ, or if it is a good lens offered cheaply... may have issues the seller is not telling you about.... so be careful! You often "get" what you pay for! :)
 
Cheap and good quality usually don't come together.

But you may be able to find old pro glass that is cheaper than if bought new.

I think you can mount pre-ai lens on your d5100, so you could check out some old manual focus pre-ai, ai, and ais lens.

Nikon Manual Focus Fixed Focal Length Lenses - KEH.com


So for about $915 plus shipping you could pick up a full range of primes, 24mm f2.8, 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f2, 135mm f2.8, 180mm f2.8. But you would have to sacrifice metering.

Nikon Manual Focus 24 F2.8 N NON AI (52) 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS WIDE ANGLE LENS - KEH.com

Nikon Manual Focus 35 F2.8 S NON AI (52) NIPPON KOGAKU 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS WIDE ANGLE LENS - KEH.com

Nikon Manual Focus 50 F1.4 S NON AI (52) CHROME 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS STANDARD ANGLE LENS - KEH.com

Nikon Manual Focus 85 F2 AIS (52) WITH CAPS 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS TELEPHOTO LENS - KEH.com

Nikon Manual Focus 135 F2.8 AIS (52) WITH CAPS 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS TELEPHOTO LENS - KEH.com

Nikon Manual Focus 180 F2.8 P NON AI (72) WITH CAPS 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS TELEPHOTO LENS - KEH.com
 
Last edited:
This question is just silly. Why do you think you need a new lens?
 
This question is just silly. Why do you think you need a new lens?

Good question, also what is the primary use of the lens your thinking about?
 
I want a longer zoom lens I'm very new to this. I just didn't know if any lens would work or just a special kind. Im 18 starting my senior year in highschool and I dont have a lot of money to spend on a lens. I just want to buy one for long distance things.
 
I have a Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6D APO Macro you can have for $30 . . It needs a body with an AF motor to auto-focus, and I am thinking the 5100 does not have that?
 
^^^ regardless, it could still be used in manual.
 
Well sorry I shouldn't have done that unpopular thank you
 
I just think it's kind of pointless to seek a new lens without knowing what you want from it. If you said you were looking for an affordable telephoto zoom, that would have been different.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom