What's new

Looking for len(s) for D90 at limit budget

RichardsTPF

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 19, 2011
Messages
445
Reaction score
14
Location
Houston, TX
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to buy a Nikon D90 and don't have much $ left for lens. On B&H, the Nikon 18-200mm has a $250 off discount when purchased together with the body. So the body costs 750, and the len costs 550. This len can cover from wide angle to telephoto. Shall I go for it?
Nikon 50mm f1.4 is a wonderful choice too. Any suggestion?
 
I think it's a great idea for an amatuer to start out with a fixed focal length prime lens. Then once you get good at shooting, hen you could get a zoom lens.

I vote for the 35mm 1.4 or the 50mm 1.4....you could save a few bucks and get the 1.8 versions as well!
 
EPPhoto is right! I love prime lenses, the 50 1.4G is a great lens from what I hear! Whereas, the 18-200 is flexible, but has SO SO image quality. I'd rather have quality over flexibility.

If you want a cheap zoom with a wide angle setting, simply get the 18-55 VR for dirt cheap and get some decent primes to get outstanding IQ. My belief is that the 18-200 is a waste of money.
 
I'm also not a fan of the 18-200.

What type of shooting do you like to do? I see that in your avatar, it's a picture of some sort of furry critter. Is it wildlife you are interested? Will you mostly be shooting indoors or outdoors? Have you owned a DSLR before?

It really depends on what type of shooting you want to do, what you expect to get out of your shots, and if you think you might buy more gear later on if it is something that you find yourself hooked on.

In general, a D90, 18-105 kit lens, and an SB600 is a good starter kit that gives you enough options to be able to grow into as well as letting you find out a bit more about what type of shooting you really want to do so you can have a better idea of where you want to invest your money.
 
Appreciate your advise. This my first DSLR. I used to shot with my uncle's Cannon xt at auto and scene mode. And then find out it is what a waste to not knowing how to really use a DSLR. I would like to shot outdoor such as animal and landscape. I trust this TPF will help me a lot. BTW that is a chipmunk that I shot at Lake Tahoe.
 
Any 18-200 mm, 18-250 mm, or 18-270 mm lens has to be a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none lens, because so many design compromises have to be stacked on top of each other to accomplish the 11x+ zoom range.

Nikon's 18-200 is considered by many to be Nikon's current worst lens value, but many others love the convenience of the superzoom range and not having to change lenses.

Being able to change lenses is one of the primary advantages of owning a DSLR in the first place.
 
The 18-200 VR has an impressive 20-inch foot minimum focusing distance from the sensor plane, meaning that it is one of the world's closest-focusing superzooms. Compare this minimum focusing distance to that of the new 70-300 VR-G lens, which is around 4.5 feet. Ken Rockwell has about 50 review pages on the 18-200 VR lens, located here: Nikon 18-200mm

There are a LOT of people who continually tell you how poor this lens is. My suggestion: look at actual photos made with the lens--they are really, quite GOOD. Hey, I have a big lens collection that spans four decades...and I can tell you a few things about lenses. First off, this is a Nikkor zoom lens, not a Sigma, not a Tokina, not a Rokinon: the design is as good as it can be made at its price point, and this is not a "cheap" lens. It's designed with a modern, computer-aided design, decent materials, and it is designed for digital camera use: it is NOT an old "film" design from the 1980's or the 1990's or the early 2000's, and that fact alone can make a HUGE difference in the way a zoom lens performs on a d-slr. The second thing is that a person loses MORE shots due to futzing around and mounting the "right" lens than he does simply bringing the camera up to the eye, zooming, and then focusing and shooting the picture. Carrying ONE lens on ONE body means you can take a d-slr with you and have it READY at ALL times; changing lenses means that the camera is optimized for a "specific" type of shot or use, and is therefore poorly suited for some other uses. For example: You're shooting a group shot at 18mm, and then zoom right in to the mother and child units, from one position, before the group disperses. You can do that with the 18-200. In seconds! You can shoot a wide-establishing shot as the ferry boat leaves the dock, the a medium shot, then a tight telephoto close-up of your family waving to send you off, all in like five seconds' time. All with d-slr capability.

And, finally, we need to cut through the total Bullchit about how "poor" the optics are on the Nikkor zooms and super-zooms: Popular Photography magazine did a test a few years back, comparing "consumer" lenses against fast, f/2.8 "pro" lenses. The actual resolution and contrast of the consumer lenses at f/8 was within 10 to 15 percent of what an expensive "pro glass" lens turned in. If one absolutely NEEDS that last, little bit of image quality, the expensive lenses are unmatched. But it is no longer 1980...some of the cheapest, POS little Nikkor zoom lenses are SURPRISINGLY good, like their old, plastic mount 28-80...just amazingly good at f/8...better than many pro lenses from the 1980's. What is happening nowadays is that Nikon has produced a new generation of vastly better lenses, designed for higher- and higher-resolution DIGITAL imaging. It's time to stop repeating the same old B.S. about how horrible the newer NIKKOR designed-for-digital superzooms actually are in real-world picture-taking scenarios. We're not talking about el-cheapo Sigma and Rokinon $279 lenses here--we're talking about lenses designed and built to a price point virtually double that of the early 1990's superzooms pioneered by Tamron with their 28-200 then their 28-300.
 
get a 35mm 1.8 or a 50mm ai lens. theyre super cheap and great lenses. plus since youre on a budget and probably dont have an external flash, these lenses do quite well under low light due to their apertures.
 
Derrel, you again have a good point!

But from my perspective, the 18-200 has little appeal for the money it costs. I just think of the beautiful primes I could get instead which are much more fun than a variable aperture zoom lens that is always a compromise at each focal length.
 
I also read Ken Rockwell 's review on 18-200mm, and many others. Seems like this len is not that bad. Plus there is a $250 off discount. sounds like a good deal. I have never seen any actual photos made with the lens. I am wondering how sharp this len can get to, and how the performance gonna be under low light condition.
Derrel, do you have any pics made with 18-200 to share?
Most of time I shot pics when I hang out with friends, and have a backpacking or camping trip. So flexibility is part of what I am looking for. It costs $$$$ to gain both quality and flexibility.
I am totally agree that 50mm F1.4 is decent.
 
Although I personally despise the "everything lens" $550 is a very good price for a new one. If I upgrade later you'll get nearly all your $$ back on the used market.As for the 50mm f1.4, the new 50mm f1.8g is better and cheaper. It has an aspherical element that improves sharpness and contrast at wide apertures, its sharper then the f1.4 at f1.8 and f2. The only benefit of the 1.4 is the ability to shoot soft photos at f1.4.
 
Although I personally despise the "everything lens" $550 is a very good price for a new one. If I upgrade later you'll get nearly all your $$ back on the used market.As for the 50mm f1.4, the new 50mm f1.8g is better and cheaper. It has an aspherical element that improves sharpness and contrast at wide apertures, its sharper then the f1.4 at f1.8 and f2. The only benefit of the 1.4 is the ability to shoot soft photos at f1.4.

What about Bokeh?? I heard the 1.4 is superior in this respect. According to who is the 50 1.8G it 'Better' as you put it?
 
I say it all depends what your going to shoot.

If you have a really tight budjet and this will be your only lens for a while, then i would go with the 18-200. It is not a bad lens plus you save alot of money on it. The 35mm is good for portrait and some landscape, thats about it.
 
Last edited:
I will use this 18-200mm len for a while. And then buy one 35mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4. Between these two, 50mm f1.4 is more sharp, and 35mm f1.8 gives more angle. Am I right?
 
I will use this 18-200mm len for a while. And then buy one 35mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4. Between these two, 50mm f1.4 is more sharp, and 35mm f1.8 gives more angle. Am I right?

you are right.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom