Looking for some advice to get better.....

coastietech

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new here, I have already posted in the welcome forum. I started taking pictures about two months ago. I would appreciate any comments or critiques that can help me be a better photographer. So without further ado.....

_DSC0500.jpg

_DSC0488.jpg

_DSC0460.jpg

_DSC0346.jpg

_DSC0319.jpg

_DSC0380.jpg

_DSC0504.jpg

Those don't much look like they were taken by someone who picked up a camera two months ago.

Only one I'd complain about is the last one. You elude to trees...I'd like to see more of them.

One and Three are kinda busy. They don't really give me a central point of focus. Where am I supposed to look?

better is totally relative. I dont know what your earlier shots look like.

What is it that you want to convey in your shots?

BTW they seem fine aesthetically and technically, none really jump out at me a whole lot, but they still are decent shots !!!

I am picky, so take that as a compliment, i agree they definately do not look like someone who just started shooting.. your allready ahead of the curve...!!

Leapin' Lederhosen are those good! Whatever yer doin' keep it up.

Thank you so much for all your compliments. I didn't really have a focal point for the first photo to be honest. I shot at f22 and popped the flash. The 3rd photo the focal point was the wood stork. As for the last photo, I had to cut off the trees because underneath that was a metal fence and some very ugly houses that I think would have ruined the shot. And unfortunately I couldn't get a better vantage point. But thank you again for all the compliments. I have the kind of personality where I become obsessed with new hobbies. When my wife suggested that I try out photography I took a couple of shots and thought it was the coolest thing ever. I went a bought about 5-6 books on the technical side of photography.

One and Three are kinda busy. They don't really give me a central point of focus. Where am I supposed to look?

My apologies, I meant one and four. I was referring to the waterfall photo.
(psst, numbering your photos, helps us all ;) )

Hiya coastietech, welcome to ThePhotoForum. :D

One first piece of advice not with regards to your photography (you are clearly developing "the eye" already!) but with regards to the presentation of your photos here on the forum: a) always leave spaces between one and the next photo so they don't run one into the other and b) number your photos as soon as you post more than 3 or 4. OK?

As my welcome-present, I shall now go into your thread and edit the missing spaces and numbers in. How nice is that :greenpbl: :mrgreen:

Have fun posting and show us more (and tell us where you took them).

1. I liked the composition. And there are some nice colours going on aswell.

2 + 3. Almost looks 'scary' in a way... (bare trees, preying birds e.t.c.) but it almost looks 'too' bare. Would be nice if it was stylized a bit more (some more contrast and atmosphere, and less colour.)

4. I love that slow shutter speed water effect, I've yet to do it. Nice composition as well.

5. By far the best, I think. Lots of atmosphere, it feels electric with all the lights, and again, nice composition. My eye ends up looking at the building.

6. Nice levelling... the black and white makes it work.

7. Love the sky. Although I'm not so keen on the trees... Need something different.

I feel that 1,4,5 and 6 are good images. The rest are pretty.... meh. I'm not sure what you're focal point is, even in the ones that seem obvious. But for someone who hs been shooting for 2 months they're extremely good.

Thank you guys/gals again for your input and praise. The only question that I have is could you clarify what is meant by "I can't tell where your focal point is." Does that mean that the photos are too soft? How can I make the focal point stand out? Any other advice you can give me would be great thank you.

Well, focal point does not necessarily mean: a point in focus.
The focal point is the one point of interest to where the entire composition of your image leads the viewer's eye, and that focal point can be close to us and very evident, like the birds in your Photos 2 and 3, or it can be farther away and something takes us there, like the building in Photo 5, to where the light trails take us.

To my mind, your photo of the sunset sky does not have much of a focal point. Nothing for the eye to wander to and rest for a while ... it is not bad to have more than one focal point so your eye will travel the photo in circles, too, by the way. And a photo that does not seem to have any such point seems ... kind of empty. No matter the beauty of that sunset sky. I hope I expressed myself here :scratch: .... it is still early in the morning and I haven't had my coffee yet...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back