Looking for some Constructive Crit.

I find them all a bit dark for my taste, although I can see having the last one darker than the others.

On #3, I find the out-of-focus foreground and the dirt ditch more distracting than helpful. Even if these were cropped out of the shot, though, I'm not seeing much to excite me.

I like #1 the best, even if I do find it too dark. I wouldn't lighten it up a lot, though. Some dark helps give the shot a somber mood. I'd just like to see the mood and more details of the picture at the same time.

Yeah I think I tend to make my photos darker, I guess thats just what I like personally, and not everyone will like that!

Thanks for the comment and the crit. Im hoping I can improve on these and maybe shoot something other than woodland, as thats all I've really had a chance to do these first few weeks of the year!

Dan

I like number one the best. Put it looks like you turned the clarity up alot in PP? If thats the case, tone it down a bit as the tips of the trees look "off."

I just had a play in Lightroom, and re-edited the whole photo, and I think you were right with the clarity, as it looks much better now ive re done it!

Thanks
Dan

I just had a play in Lightroom, and re-edited the whole photo, and I think you were right with the clarity, as it looks much better now ive re done it!

Thanks
Dan

Awesome, glad to hear it. Throw it up here!

Your first 2 photos are the best; I'd work with trying to get more dynamic range out of your photos, as I don't think the exposure is very balanced.
The third photo isn't very succesful because of the bottom half of the photo; having something out of focus in the foreground just throws me off.
Also, in the second photo it wouldn't have hurt to tilt the camera higher; I think the main focus of the photo was the sky, and you have the horizon line pretty much in the middle.

Thanks
Dan

Awesome, glad to hear it. Throw it up here!

Will do, gimme 2 seconds.

Your first 2 photos are the best; I'd work with trying to get more dynamic range out of your photos, as I don't think the exposure is very balanced.
The third photo isn't very succesful because of the bottom half of the photo; having something out of focus in the foreground just throws me off.
Also, in the second photo it wouldn't have hurt to tilt the camera higher; I think the main focus of the photo was the sky, and you have the horizon line pretty much in the middle.

yeah I noticed that even though I know the rule of thirds, when i look back at alot of my pictures, they dont seem to use it very well, I will ahve to watch out for that more often.
Do you think the third picture would benefit from all of it being in focus? Or is it just a "dead subject" all together?

Thanks
Dan

long path, re edit. by danarbon11, on Flickr

Thats the Re edit, although it looks better i feel some of the trees appear to be too pale? particularly the ones a few trees in from the top right, something isnt quite right about them.

Dan

I personally enjoyed #3 and though it was the best in the group. You could have had a little less foreground perhaps, but it works for me as it is. The light spot in the trees makes me want to trudge through the mud to see whats back there.

Most reactions

Back