Looking for some posing advice for a church member directory

Mateo1041

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm not looking to do anything fancy, but will be taking photos of people for my church's new member directory. I don't have a backdrop or fancy umbrella lighting, but do have a decent flash that attaches. I'm looking to make it quick, like 30 second to 1 minute max per couple/family. The goal isn't a star-studded Hollywood experience, but a decent enough photo to help recognize who attends the church. The best background I can think of is just at the front of the church. It's winter, so not much we can do outside.

What'd be helpful is any advice on how best to pose couples/families. Is front on reasonable for this kind of thing, or should I have them turned a bit to make more interesting? I'm not looking to read a book on the topic just yet (I'd like to eventually), but just some simple tips for now would be really great.

Thanks!

I think you can find a "better" background than the front of the church, because it is generally going to be distractive. Is there a blank wall someplace? You could do as I did once; bought a king-size bedsheet and hung it on a pipe with another pipe at the bottom for weight. Yes, even with ironing, there will still be wrinkles, but it's affordable.

I would direct some people to turn slightly, others I would ask for straight on, depending on how they look. You will have to get an overall feel for the composition as you're putting it together. I think trying to get each family done in one minute is too much of a hurry to get good shots.

As to the flash on the camera; don't do that, please. If you have read any threads here on the topic, you will have learned that getting the flash off (away from) the camera will give you better modeling of the people. You should get a light stand and at least a cable with which to fire the flash, if not a radio remote trigger (transmitter plus receiver). Also, while you're at it, get something like a white shoot-shrough umbrella to diffuse the light.

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I just don't know if it's worth getting a separate stand just for this, at least not yet. I really haven't gotten into people photography much. I used a blank wall last time, but it wasn't as interesting as I'd have liked. :) Maybe a fancier people setup is just something I'll need to invest in at some point.

I agree with Designer; on-camera flash is NOT attractive, but you can kill two birds with one stone. Leave the speedlight in the hot shoe, but turn the head left or right so that the flash bounces off a nearby white wall (or if that won't work, a large piece of white cardstock). This will bring your light in from the side and diffuse it in one step.

If you can acquire a cable or transmitter for your flash an assistant can simply hold it for you. You don't have to use a stand. Tirediron's idea of bouncing the flash off a white surface is probably your best bet. The straight on flash is going to create redeye and unwanted reflections off of glasses and stuff.

The backdrop sheet does not have to be white. A light brown or gray color would work too and not wash out as much as white.

Most reactions

Back