Looking for the most compromised entry Canon dslr

wet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi people,
While I was helping a friend searching for dslr, I came across Canon XS, XSi & Ti, xTi (if such model even existed). Are they just difference in terms of pixel size or they are intrinsically designed for different application?
In your opinion, which one is the most optimized entry level camera long term wise so that she won’t needing an upgrade very quickly. She own a daycare, so is mostly taking pictures of kids & the parents. She also loves taking outdoor pictures when go camping.
I thought maybe she should search in craiglist to get a used 20D/30D/40D/50D, it is a better investment to get better quality pictures or maybe I don’t know what I am talking about?
As usual, thanks for your advise.

For someone starting out you can't go to far wrong with a second hand entry level canon body (any of those mentioned are fine really) and a decent lens or two, depending on application. For shooting kids, a 50mm 1.8 is a good choice and oh so cheap!

xsi seems to be excellent in terms of price/features. i absolutely loved mine, but i found myself wanting more than "entry level" when i gave it to the gf. have the 50d now and am totally impressed with it. 40d people cant say enough good things about and was one i was considering, but with the 50d being only $100 more at the time...i got it instead.

i'd personally only get the t1i if i were looking for a built-in movie function which i probably never will in an slr. i havent owned or played with the t1i, but if its similar to the xsi/50d then it'll be very easy to use as well (which both the xsi and 50d are).

oh, and the xt/xti does exist. they preceded the xs/xsi.

What's your budget?

Swing by the Canon USA website and check out each of the models.

Canon EOS SLR Camera Systems

I know the info can be a bit daunting, but check out the "Features" tab under each model on their website. This will give you a high level overview of the cameras main features.

There are subtle differences between the XS, XSi, XTi, etc. Personally, I think Canon is off their rocker having so many entry level cameras with similar names... :)

From a controls stand point most of the entry level cameras are the same. They lack a thumb wheel on the back and a LCD display on the upper right side of the body. You don't get these features until you step up to the xxD (20D, 30D, 40D, 50D) bodies. The build quality substantially improves when you step up to the xxD bodies as well. Plus there are other features which vary like how many pictures you can shoot before the camera stops to write to the card, auto-focus system differences, etc.

But get what you can afford. Don't blow your entire budget buying the most expensive body you can get. You'll have lots of other things you're going to want to go with that new body. All of the bodies listed here will take beautiful pictures. Just be sure to leave a little extra for memory, extra batteries, a nice bag, cleaning supplies, etc. Heck, you may even want to get a nicer lens than the kit lens too.

forgot to mention too that there's a saying i read that says to divide your budget up so you're spending something like 1/3 on the body, and 2/3 on a good lens for it.

While I was helping a friend searching for dslr, I came across Canon XS, XSi & Ti, xTi (if such model even existed).
Yes, the XTi existed.

Here are the Canon EOS Digital Rebels:
The original Canon Digital Rebel (300D/Kiss Digital) came out in 2003.
The XT (350D/Kiss Digital N) came out in 2005.
The XTi (400D/Kiss Digital X) came out in 2006.
The XSi (450D/Kiss X2) came out in early 2008.
The XS (1000D/Kiss F) came out later in 2008.
The T1i (500D/Kiss X3) came out earlier this year (2009).

Another thing worth noting, Buy it as a kit (e.g. 450D kit 18-55mm) and sell the lens you get (18-55mm) on ebay as Brand new and sell it for about £130 - £160
then buy only EF lens' this way if you ever decide to eventually upgrade to fullframe sensors (or cameras that only support EF lens e.g. xxD) you aren't throwing away lens'

If she is strictly going to be taking pictures of the kids running around and some portrait stuff just for the customers sake I would say get the lower priced camera and get a better lense. A lot of the features on the higher end cameras won't be super important for somebody that is not looking to turn pro and trying to make a living from the pictures.
The issue is there are a lot of people who get an entry level thinking that they won't get the photography bug, or never advance beyond the entry level and a year later they are hooked and spending money to upgrade.

If she is strictly going to be taking pictures of the kids running around and some portrait stuff just for the customers sake I would say get the lower priced camera and get a better lense. A lot of the features on the higher end cameras won't be super important for somebody that is not looking to turn pro and trying to make a living from the pictures.
The issue is there are a lot of people who get an entry level thinking that they won't get the photography bug, or never advance beyond the entry level and a year later they are hooked and spending money to upgrade.

That is what I said in my post & is precisely the point, after having a dslr camera & see what a good camera can do, she might be hooked & wants to get better at photography. She might want to do more than just taking good pictures to show off to the parents, only future can tell. She is now using my 10D with my 28-135mm & my 420EX, she is already liking it. She doesn't make a lot, so I don't want to recommend her something might be obselete too soon.

Most reactions

Back