Looking for Tips on How to Improve Photo

mizmelzy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new to the board. I use a Canon 350D, and have a 100-300mm lens (Ultrasonic EF 100-300 1:4.5-5.6). It originally was bought for My Canon Rebel G camera. But found that it also worked on my 350D so why buy a new lens when I didn't have to?

This past Friday (I work at a Day Care inside a Church) we had our Christmas Concert. I've been dubbed the Unofficial photographer for the center since, I'm picture happy (their term lol). I wanted good pictures so I used my Canon 350D instead of my Canon Powershot IS S1. I was somewhat frustrated by the results of my pictures from the concert. This was church lighting so it wasn't the best lighting. I only had the flash on the camera. The flash that worked on my Rebel G didn't work on the 350D (I was heart broken). The lens had a very hard time focusing. I tried multiple settings on the camera, even in manual mode. I did adjust the exposure which helped. I was confused that some came out great in the same settings and some came out not so great. I realize that I do need an external flash for better photos in telephoto lenses. However, my budget is tight and I have to deal with what I do have (the camera, and the flash on it). I did try to compensate by waiting until someone took a flash to try to focus on the subject and help light it up more as well. I'm even more perplexed that one of the other grandparents there had also a Canon camera same type as mine only it's about 1-2 years old. Where is mine is older technology. Her pictures turned out great, and I'm trying to figure out why? She didn't have any external flash, and had a zoom lens about the same as mine. She wasn't any closer than I was at all. In fact some of my pictures I was closer than she was. Is it just she has newer technology which works better in low light? Now when I used the stock lens the photos looked nice. So I know my main issue is the zoom lens, and the amount of light. The photos other's took looks much better than mine and I'm trying to figure out why? Hoping someone can give tips so that next year I can come out with some very nice pictures.

Here is one that I took that was typical of the quality I got.
$IMG_9670.JPG

My Good shot:

$IMG_9651.JPG

Now this the photo from the grandparent with the same camera which was newer:

$flf%u00252Bchristmas%2B01.jpg

All of her pictures came out with the same quality. Mine however did not. Her eyes were not glowing and did not have red eye either. (My red-eye setting was on).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Mel

For your two shots that you posted, can you post what the exposure settings were? That would be helpful.
Other than that, a short answer your question- it's not necessarily about new vs. old equipment, but the quality of the lenses used could have made the difference.

Most reactions

Back