Looking to replacing the 18-55 kit lens with a tamron

photop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to replace my kit lense with the tamron 24-70 for the wider aperature. My question is because my camera (canon 77d) is not a full frame camera will the 'view' be same? Will the 24mm on the new lense look the same as the 24mm on the kit lense? I've been reading that the same lense will give a different perspective on a full frame camera than a crop frame.

Don’t know what kit lens you have so don’t have an answer for if it will be the same or not. You said it is the 18-55 and I’m going to guess it is an EF-S lens. If so no they will not be the same. Going from a full frame Canon to and APS-C Canon provides a 1.6X crop factor. So take the focal distance X 1.6 and you get the cropped focal distance equivalent

Don’t know what kit lens you have so don’t have an answer for if it will be the same or not. You said it is the 18-55 and I’m going to guess it is an EF-S lens. If so no they will not be the same. Going from a full frame Canon to and APS-C Canon provides a 1.6X crop factor. So take the focal distance X 1.6 and you get the cropped focal distance equivalent
Yes, you are correct. Thank you so much for your helpful feedback!

I have a couple of those kit lenses. Best thing you can do is replace them. Great for beginners and kids. It is amazing what a good quality lens can do for your photography.

You have another option.
17-50/2.8 by Sigma and Tamron. Tamron has discontinued this lens, but you can still find them.
I like the Tamron lens, because the zoom ring is easier to turn.

Tamron and Sigma have really stepped up their game. I remember in the 90’s they were cheap junk lenses for those that couldn’t afford good OEM lenses. I have a couple newer ones and they are much better.

The 77d is a crop factor camera, so yes 24mm will look the same with both lenses. It will not look the same as 24mm on a full frame camera though

Tamron and Sigma have really stepped up their game. I remember in the 90’s they were cheap junk lenses for those that couldn’t afford good OEM lenses. I have a couple newer ones and they are much better.

The only problem is Tamron has started to pull the plug on dSLR lenses.
Last time I looked, these three lenses have been discontinued, without a replacement.
17-50/2.8, 35-150/2.8-4, 70-210/4

All manufactures will soon cease the production of DSLR lenses.

Most reactions

Back