Looking to simplify

TiCoyote

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Right now, I photograph weddings with the following setup:
2 bodies
2 Phottix Strato II Transmitters (one on each body)
1 Metz 58-AF2 Flash on one body
2 Light stands
2 Phottix Strato II Receivers - one on each stand
2 Metz 50 AF-1 Flashes - one on each receiver

It is a reliable system. The Metz flashes provide a lot of light, and the build quality is excellent. However, if could eliminate the Tx/Rx units, I could carry less equipment, and need to charge fewer batteries. Less equipment also means fewer points of potential failure, and fewer things to lose or break. Also, although the Phottix units are well-built, the switches tend to get flipped in the camera bag, so I have to worry about dead batteries. I'm looking at systems that integrate the RX or the Tx/Rx into the flashes. This would allow me to eliminate some of the components, and I would also have nice bene

Here are some alternative setups:
Canon System
600EX II-RT
2x - 430EX III-RT
ST-E3-RT
$1260 at B&H or $1112 at TriState

Nissin System
3x - Di700A
Air10s
$1037

Phottix
3x - Mitros+
Odin II
$1107

Godox
3X - TT685C
XProC
$399

The way I see it is this: The price gap between the Nissin, Phottix, and Canon systems are negligible. The Phottix and Nissin systems would provide a bit more power, but I trust the Canon brand the most.

The Godox system is significantly cheaper. Will it offer the same performance, reliability, and build quality?

I use flashpoint gear which is the same as godox, just rebranded. If you buy it, but it through the flashpoint brand name. It carries a better warranty and Adorama will back you up if there’s an issue.

My stuff seems to be made very well and functions perfectly. I’ve only had it for a few months so can’t speak to long term durability; but it does seem made well and I have faith it will hold up.

Edited to add: Consider that for the price of the other units you could get quite a bit more flashpoint gear. Either additional options like the streaklight 360 or an xplor 600 for more power, or several more of the same light as backup units.

I'm going to eliminate the Nissin and Phottix systems, because for the price, they really don't offer anything over the other systems.

So we are left with Canon:
Reliability
Build quality
Brand reputation
Better AF-beam
$1100

Godox
(I would probably get the Li-ion version which would add $200)
Li-Ion battery packs
Cheaper
$600

I'm going to eliminate the Nissin and Phottix systems, because for the price, they really don't offer anything over the other systems.

So we are left with Canon:
Reliability
Build quality
Brand reputation
Better AF-beam
$1100

Godox
(I would probably get the Li-ion version which would add $200)
Li-Ion battery packs
Cheaper
$600

Another plus for the godox/flashpoint system is that it’s expandable into studio strobes as well and has many more different options for expansion. Even if you don’t think this is important now; if you ever decide you want to trigger studio strobes and speedlights with the same system the canon stuff won’t do it natively becaus canon doesn’t offer studio strobes to my knowledge.

Personally I’d get the flashpoint, but I’m biased because I have it and love it.

Thanks, Destin. I have been thinking about getting a Flashpoint setup for studio work, but I don't really need the two systems to be cross-compatible.

My concern is whether the Flashpoint/Godox flashes have the reliability and durability to stand up to professional wedding work. They need to work perfectly every time, and they put up with a little abuse. Do you have experience with that?

Thanks, Destin. I have been thinking about getting a Flashpoint setup for studio work, but I don't really need the two systems to be cross-compatible.

My concern is whether the Flashpoint/Godox flashes have the reliability and durability to stand up to professional wedding work. They need to work perfectly every time, and they put up with a little abuse. Do you have experience with that?

I don’t. I’ve probably only got 600-800 photos taken with mine so far; but they have been flawless with no misfires. The TTL has been very good. The construction quality is pretty solid feeling and I feel that they’ll hold up, but I can’t actually speak for long term durability as I haven’t had mine long enough to say.

I’ll be using it for my first wedding at the end of January, and I’m planning to strobe the reception hall with my pair of xplor 600 strobes. So studio strobes, especially those with self contained radio receivers and batteries, can have a place in wedding work if you choose to use them for it.

If you aren’t in a hurry I’d gladly put up a post about how it performs at the wedding, but I’m guessing you want to buy before then.

Thanks, Destin. After reading a lot of reviews, I'm leaning towards the Canon system, but I am curious to hear about your experiences with Godox/Flashpoint. I'm not really in any hurry to buy, so keep me posted.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back