Lots of chickens

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thanks for chickin' out my photos. I know it's quite a few photos, but I just felt like sharing. C&C if you like, if not I shell not be offended.

Eat more beef! Eat more beef! Eat more beef! :mrgreen:

Anywho I like #1 very much for the lights in the chickins. Great shot!

Also #6 for the expression...

No 1 is very good, great work with the light, the combs are wonderfully lit, good contrast, the background with it's rays of sun light is fantastic, shades are good and strong, great repeating pattern, - this image can definitely defend itself.
But remember that a photographer is judged by his worst photos, not the best ones. The other 6 are so poor/ dull/pedestrian with no consideration for light or composition, it is hard to believe they were shot by the same photographer.
Had you posted only the first image I would have thought you knew what you were doing. Looking at the other six - probably not. Looks like the first one was just a lucky shot, that can happen to anyone.
Sorry for the harsh criticism, I am trying to be helpful.

Last edited:
No 1 is very good, great work with the light, the combs are wonderfully lit, good contrast, the background with it's rays of sun light is fantastic, shades are good and strong, great repeating pattern, - this image can definitely defend itself.
But remember that a photographer is judged by his worst photos, not the best ones. The other 6 are so poor/ dull/pedestrian with no consideration for light or composition, it is hard to believe they were shot by the same photographer.
Had you posted only the first image I would have thought you knew what you were doing. Looking at the other six - probably not. Looks like the first one was just a lucky shot, that can happen to anyone.
Sorry for the harsh criticism, I am trying to be helpful.

Interesting comment, and I thank you for your honesty. I agree with what you say about a photographer only being judged by his worst work. Fortunately I have no fear of judgement here so I chose to post a number of photos on a certain theme. Having said that I feel strangely compelled to defend myself slightly here, I mean the other photos aren't that bad are they? The first one was the only one that I really tried to 'create' a shot and used artificial lighting (and even led the chickens to a certain spot with strategically placed grain pellets), whereas the other 6 shots are all natural lighting 'unposed' shots.

The only I think is your worst is number 4. The rest are good. Sharp as it gets and there's nothing wrong with the colors, and I love the DOF. Ditch 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And maybe 5.

#1 for the light and the timing

I like #1 and #3 the best. And no, I don't think the rest are bad, just not as strong. For me, the weakest are #6 and 7 - 6 because the light is flat and the part of the other chicken in the foreground doesn't add anything, and 7 because I don't like that you're missing the one chicken's head, and the other chicken's butt is backed up right to the edge of the frame, almost out of it.

I love the positions of the chickens in #5, but wish there was better tonal range - it's a bit dark, and the vignette is too heavy. And I also really like the delicate feel of #4, again wishing for a bit more tonal range as this one is a little too light. Don't ditch them - I find them two of the more interesting of the bunch after #1 and 3.

#3 has nice light and sharpness, interesting foreground bokeh...it's just not quite as interesting in terms of composition. The others that I like are not your usual chicken pictures, which is why I like them. #3 is a more predictable composition, which is perhaps why I find it less interesting, even if the light and colors and focus are all lovely.

If I had to choose one I like the best, it's #3. The worst? #6.

Last edited:
The only I think is your worst is number 4. The rest are good. Sharp as it gets and there's nothing wrong with the colors, and I love the DOF. Ditch 4

I actually like 4, the post processing is nice almost looks like a drawing.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I've re-edited another one I took at the same time as the first image I posted in this thread. I like this one a lot better.

Attachments

• $4.jpg
    $4.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 91
These are some darn-tootin' chickens!

I've re-edited another one I took at the same time as the first image I posted in this thread. I like this one a lot better.
Wow! I really love this!! The light is so dramatic with the rays shining through. Before I saw this one my favorite was #3 :) I love chickens!

Most reactions

Back