Love Film,Switch to Digital Help,Recommendations?

mommato8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have always used film;simple old Pentax K1000.But,after much discussion with my husband,I'm willing to also start working with digital.I have looked at so many cameras,read reviews,etc but I don't get a lot of things about digital cameras.I've had people tell me how digitals can focus & all for you.But,I LIKE doing things manually.

I'm looking for a camera that will at least match my 35mm shots.I want to be able to switch lenses & do the same manual focusing with a digital that I do with my camera.I realize a good lens is important.I want to be able to work with zoom,macro,etc.But,I'm lost as to what camera to work with.

From what I've been reading, RAW is good.Do all digitals allow raw format?

So,for someone use to 35mm & wanting that quality or better [for prints & enlargements] who also wants versatility with lenses what would be good medium to high end cameras to look at?
I hope that made sense.I feel like my head is swimming from reading about & looking at so many different cameras.

Thank you
Catherine

Well, if you have Pentax K-mount lenses, you will be able to use them with Pentax digital SLR's. I would definitely start there if you like your current lenses. You can use most DSLR's fully manually, fyi.

http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies/k10

In general, autofocus digital SLRs are not as good for manual focusing as manual film SLRs - their viewfinder systems are just not designed for it. Similarly autofocus lenses may not be as easy to focus manually as manual focus lenses are. I would strongly advise trying a few cameras to see what you are comfortable with.

I have a Nikon D40x that I use mainly with manual focus lenses. It is possible to swap the focusing screen for a cut-down K3 screen from an FM3 - the K3 has a split-image rangefinder in the centre. This has improved the manual focus capabilities of the D40x a lot, and it cost me $30. I'm going to do (at least) two more for friends and I'll write up a little article. I also discovered how easy it is to adjust the manual focus of the D40x to give very accurate manual focusing.

Best,
Helen

I'm looking for a camera that will at least match my 35mm shots.

So,for someone use to 35mm & wanting that quality or better [for prints & enlargements] who also wants versatility with lenses what would be good medium to high end cameras to look at?
I hope that made sense.I feel like my head is swimming from reading about & looking at so many different cameras.

Thank you
Catherine

I think you have to forget about 35mm film, few digital cameras can match 35mm quality for enlargements, but you can still get good prints from digital.
If your gonna go digital, go digital, pretty much the whole point is convenience, if you must use manual focus lenses, you can, but whats the point, I'm all for the hands on approach but heck, nobodys gonna point the finger at you for using AF on a digital camera.
likely as not, if that K1000 could AF, you would have used it at some point.
You cant go into this with expectations relating to film, wipe the slate clean, pick a dslr that will suit your needs > lenses you allready own > print size v resolution > initial cost > likely additional lens costs/availability.
Zoom and macro could mean anything, you need to be more precise, Zoom like a sparrow at 2 miles, macro like 1 to 1 magnification for ants ??
Most dslr's shoot in RAW, its the best way to edit and get the most out of your digital images.
You have a budget ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back