Low temperatures?

Benco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How low a temperature can the D7000 battery put up with?

The reason I'm asking this (and the reason it's in the off topic chat forum) is that come October I'll be spending three months working here:

Union Glacier Camp | Adventure Network International

I'd appreciate advice from anyone who's been as stupendously fortunate as I have.

:biggrin:

I'd guess that it's a lithium ion battery, like most other modern camera batteries.

The thing with low temps and these batteries...is that they don't work well, the colder it gets. A fully charged battery would seem to be dead after only a little while.
The solution is usually to have a couple spare batteries and keep them warm (inside your outer clothing). Then rotate them as the one in the camera dies.

A bigger issue in cold weather is avoiding condensation on/in the camera & lens.

The solution is usually to have a couple spare batteries and keep them warm (inside your outer clothing). Then rotate them as the one in the camera dies..........

Dis.

Thanks, I already have one spare battery, I'll get a few more.

Depending on how fancy you want to get, you might be able to rig a cold weather remote battery kit.

Once a battery gets cold (all batteries), rewarming restores it's before it got cold performance.
Some batteries are damaged if they are frozen, but note that fresh water freezes at 32°F (0°C) and batteries freeze at a lower temperature.
(FWIW- Salt water freezes at 0°F)

Also, batteries warm up when used, which is why once in your camera is turned on and being used the batteries don't get to cold.

Another option might be those 'hot pocket' packs. Up here in the frozen north, it's easy to find these little bags in which you create a chemical reaction...which warms up the bag for a few hours. We put them in our gloves or boots. I guess you could put on on the camera, around where the battery is. or maybe just in your pocket with the spare batteries. I'd certainly use caution and not let the batteries get too warm.

Most reactions

Back