Low tide in Boston

Granddad

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't normally shoot anything other than people and I do very little B&W so this wander down by the river Welland in Boston (the original Boston :lol:) was something new.
Criticism and Comments and suggestions welcome. B&W conversion in lightroom, lifebelt colour replaced in photoshop elements 8.

NIKON D700, Nikin 24-70 f2.8, ISO 640, 1/100, f9.
Boston_0032b.jpg

I like the basic image and most of what you've done with it, but I think it would be better without the vignette and selective color.

I agree, the vignetting and selective color ruins what would probably be an interesting shot. I that an old boat? I wonder if you increased the contrast if it would bring out more detail in the wood grain.

Have to agree with the previous comments.. I could live with the vignette if I had too, but the selective color is really garish and incompatible with the rest of the image! (which is rather nice, btw!)

Speaking as someone who doesn't normally disregard selective coloring just for the mere fact it's selective coloring I can say it does not work here. Pretty strong image otherwise.

Not to mention that it is EXTREMELY unlikely THAT boat would have any safety gear on it... don't you think? :)

Thanks for the feedback, guys. That was exactly what I was looking for. I'll put up another version here taking your advice into account.
One point @ cgipson. As unlikely as it may seem (I agree 100%!), the lifebelts are original. All I did was replace the colour after the B&W conversion. I wondered about how they got there and the only idea I could come up with is that some idiot had taken them from a lifebelt point along the river, thrown them in and they'd snagged there on the old wreck.

Mark :)

Thanks for the feedback, guys. That was exactly what I was looking for. I'll put up another version here taking your advice into account.
One point @ cgipson. As unlikely as it may seem (I agree 100%!), the lifebelts are original. All I did was replace the colour after the B&W conversion. I wondered about how they got there and the only idea I could come up with is that some idiot had taken them from a lifebelt point along the river, thrown them in and they'd snagged there on the old wreck.

So are you going back now, remove the lifebelts and re-take the photo? :)

@ Diffuser: LOL! I only went back as far as lightroom, even there the mud was too deep. The lifebelts have to stay.

wreck-0032.jpg

That is pretty funny.. I would say your conjecture is probably correct! I doubt that lifebelts like that existed when this was still a functional craft! :) Thanks for the info..

It is a very nice shot! I even prefer the sepia tones of the first... very appropriate here! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back