Lumix DCM-FZ30 vs. Canon EOS 400d

Tyboarder57

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i have the option of buying a Panasonic Lumix DCM-FZ30 or a Canon EOS 400d. ive heard great things about both of them, and also the downsides.
i plan on shooting lots of indoor and outdoor shots. im just looking for anyones personal opinion on both of these cameras.

Both are great cameras. The Lumix does not offer interchangeable lenses, but the 400D however opens you up to a huge system of lenses and accessories that will allow you to expand your kit, as your experience in photography grows. If you think that photography is something you might really get into, then I think the Canon is your best investment.

I have no experience with either but I think the Lumix has a smaller sensor, doesn't it?

The Canon is a true DSLR with an APS-C sized sensor (22.2 x 14.8 mm)...the Panasonic an 'SLR-like' camera with a small sensor (7.18 x 5.32 mm).

The Canon uses interchangeable lenses...the FZ30 does not.

The list goes on and on...side by side

Then it is a no brainer. With a smaller sensor and no lens interchangeability on the Lumix, the Canon would be the way to go.

ive noticed the canon doesnt come with image stabalization, is this going to be a problem in the long run?

ive noticed the canon doesnt come with image stabalization, is this going to be a problem in the long run?
Unfortunately, Canon (or Nikon etc.) DLSR cameras do not come with built-in image stabilization...instead, they have it built into certain lenses....which means that was have to pay for it.

I think the advantages of the 400D over the Fz30..far outweigh the lack of IS.

If that is really a feature that you think you need. Have a look at the Sony A-100 (alpha)...it is a DLSR and it has built-in IS.

ok so ive pretty much ruled out the lumix as a choice. but ive come across a Nikon D50 that i can get brand new for $400 with a lens kit. is it a better idea that the Canon 400d or not?

If you want IS AND a weather sealed camera, the Pantax K10D looks better and better to me every time I read the spec sheet. It'll cost you a little bit more than the XTi(400D)

You could probably even get a Nikon D40 for less than a D50...maybe.

Either way...they are all good cameras. The differences are insignificant...go into a store and hold them all...get the one that feels best to you.

thanks youve all been a huge help, everyone giving their 2 cents and critique is what makes this forum great :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back